Re: Stopper Ball on Q-Power Line?

  • wagjer
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "TheYellowJersey" <jeromedayton@y...> wrote:
      > I would like to setup a 4 line bar with Q-Power line. My question
      is
      > how do you put a stopper ball (for the safety leash) on Q-Power
      line
      > without substantially weakening the line? Some of the literature
      > talks about putting the stopper ball on the leader line but that's
      > typically only 7 meters and I need 15 meters to complete depower my
      > largest kite. Any suggestions?
      >
      > Jerome-

      Murrays Marine kiteboard catalogue has an Airush Knotless Ball #54-
      8094 for $1. You might have to shorten the other front line a little
      to match them up, but you won't need to put any knots in the leashed
      line, and I think you can adjust the position without too much
      trouble.

      Or: Use a typical 3/4" diameter barrel bead , with a 7/16" diameter
      pocket where the line knot normally seats. I just tread the bead
      onto the Q-line with the knot-pocket facing toward the kite. Then I
      cut a 3/4" long piece of round rubber rope and split it lengthwise
      just to the centerline with a sharp knife. Open the split in the
      rubber rope and insert the kite line at the position you want the
      stopper. Then slide the barrel bead up the kite line to the rubber
      rope, and twist it onto the rubber rope until it's fully seated. The
      rubber rope fits snug, and won't come out of the barrel bead unless
      you twist it back out, and it grips onto the Q-line tight enough to
      stop your bar from travelling on up the leashed line. The Q-line
      runs lengthwise, straight through the split rubber rope, wedged into
      the barrel bead - No Knots. I get the rubber rope at a shop that
      makes awnings and truck tarps. It's smooth, solid black rubber, not
      bungee cord.

      Jer
    • wagjer
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "TheYellowJersey" <jeromedayton@y...> wrote:
        > I would like to setup a 4 line bar with Q-Power line. My question
        is
        > how do you put a stopper ball (for the safety leash) on Q-Power
        line
        > without substantially weakening the line? Some of the literature
        > talks about putting the stopper ball on the leader line but that's
        > typically only 7 meters and I need 15 meters to complete depower my
        > largest kite. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Jerome

        BTW, if you are running your leashed kite line or leader through a
        stainless steel ring, use Murrays Marine #22-3525, 3/16" x 1" OD or
        similar heavy gage ring. If you use a lighter gage ring, it can
        hangup on a knot, preventing the leashed line from sliding on
        through, and your kite won't depower.

        Jer
      • TheYellowJersey
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
          Thanks for the info. I'll put it to good use.

          Jerome-