Stopper Ball on Q-Power Line?

  • TheYellowJersey
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      I would like to setup a 4 line bar with Q-Power line. My question is
      how do you put a stopper ball (for the safety leash) on Q-Power line
      without substantially weakening the line? Some of the literature
      talks about putting the stopper ball on the leader line but that's
      typically only 7 meters and I need 15 meters to complete depower my
      largest kite. Any suggestions?

      Jerome-
    • wagjer
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "TheYellowJersey" <jeromedayton@y...> wrote:
        > I would like to setup a 4 line bar with Q-Power line. My question
        is
        > how do you put a stopper ball (for the safety leash) on Q-Power
        line
        > without substantially weakening the line? Some of the literature
        > talks about putting the stopper ball on the leader line but that's
        > typically only 7 meters and I need 15 meters to complete depower my
        > largest kite. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Jerome-

        Murrays Marine kiteboard catalogue has an Airush Knotless Ball #54-
        8094 for $1. You might have to shorten the other front line a little
        to match them up, but you won't need to put any knots in the leashed
        line, and I think you can adjust the position without too much
        trouble.

        Or: Use a typical 3/4" diameter barrel bead , with a 7/16" diameter
        pocket where the line knot normally seats. I just tread the bead
        onto the Q-line with the knot-pocket facing toward the kite. Then I
        cut a 3/4" long piece of round rubber rope and split it lengthwise
        just to the centerline with a sharp knife. Open the split in the
        rubber rope and insert the kite line at the position you want the
        stopper. Then slide the barrel bead up the kite line to the rubber
        rope, and twist it onto the rubber rope until it's fully seated. The
        rubber rope fits snug, and won't come out of the barrel bead unless
        you twist it back out, and it grips onto the Q-line tight enough to
        stop your bar from travelling on up the leashed line. The Q-line
        runs lengthwise, straight through the split rubber rope, wedged into
        the barrel bead - No Knots. I get the rubber rope at a shop that
        makes awnings and truck tarps. It's smooth, solid black rubber, not
        bungee cord.

        Jer
      • wagjer
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "TheYellowJersey" <jeromedayton@y...> wrote:
          > I would like to setup a 4 line bar with Q-Power line. My question
          is
          > how do you put a stopper ball (for the safety leash) on Q-Power
          line
          > without substantially weakening the line? Some of the literature
          > talks about putting the stopper ball on the leader line but that's
          > typically only 7 meters and I need 15 meters to complete depower my
          > largest kite. Any suggestions?
          >
          > Jerome

          BTW, if you are running your leashed kite line or leader through a
          stainless steel ring, use Murrays Marine #22-3525, 3/16" x 1" OD or
          similar heavy gage ring. If you use a lighter gage ring, it can
          hangup on a knot, preventing the leashed line from sliding on
          through, and your kite won't depower.

          Jer
        • TheYellowJersey
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
            Thanks for the info. I'll put it to good use.

            Jerome-