Tips on proper use of chicken loop?

  • TheYellowJersey
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
      I'm just converting my 2 line Naish AR3's from a 2 line to a 4 line
      setup with a chicken loop. I'm looking for any tips on the proper
      usage of the chicken loop. My primary motivation for moving to 4
      lines is to be able to change the power of the kite by either using
      the center sheeting strap or getting out of the main harness loop to
      feather the power. I've gotten worked several times now in over
      powered conditions with the 2 line setup.

      I've read several hints on how to go upwind, mainly slowing the board
      down so that the kite can get to the edge of the wind window, and
      that I just need a lot more time on the water.

      I would appreciate any hints.

      Thanks-

      Jerome-
    • vytaspass
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2002
        Nah, you want speed to go upwind and push out the bar, to fly the
        kite further to the edge if the wind window to go upwind. Turn your
        hips into the wind and lean back. You need power to go upwind.

        The 4 lines allow you to depower and increase the range of the kite,
        and get faster turning, among other things.

        www.chicagokitesurfing.com

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "TheYellowJersey" <jeromedayton@y...> wrote:
        > I'm just converting my 2 line Naish AR3's from a 2 line to a 4 line
        > setup with a chicken loop. I'm looking for any tips on the proper
        > usage of the chicken loop. My primary motivation for moving to 4
        > lines is to be able to change the power of the kite by either using
        > the center sheeting strap or getting out of the main harness loop
        > feather the power. I've gotten worked several times now in over
        > powered conditions with the 2 line setup.
        >
        > I've read several hints on how to go upwind, mainly slowing the
        board
        > down so that the kite can get to the edge of the wind window, and
        > that I just need a lot more time on the water.
        >
        > I would appreciate any hints.
        >
        > Thanks-
        >
        > Jerome-
      • TheYellowJersey
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2002
          What I meant by slowing down was transferring weight to the back of
          the board to create additional drag so that the kite could creep out
          to the edge of the wind window. I had been trying to just put the
          board on edge which worked somewhat but I ended up going faster than
          I wanted to and not being able to maintain control. I noticed that
          the other kiteboarders seemed to be going slower than me while making
          good progress up wind.