jumpjibes

  • Rick Howe
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
      Still looking for a couple of kite handling hints on jump jibes.
      thanks,

      rick

    • callum_downie
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
        What exactly do you mean by "jump jibe?" If you want to jump going
        one direction and land travelling in the opposite direction you need
        to do the folowing - it'll take a bit of practise in timing the kite.

        1) Send the kite back slowly at first,
        2) release the edge of your board - your now jumping,
        3) now straighten the kite so it is flying directly above you
        4) when you start to descend pull with your old backhand and direct
        the kite in the opposite direction to which you were originally
        travelling.
        5)If you want to land Hot going the other direction you should land
        with the kite actually diving towards the water in the new direction -
        this will give you alot of speed.

        If your kite is a slower kite or you are not planning on going to
        high you may not have to straighten the kite (point 3 above) - just
        pull back and keep pulling.

        Hopefully this will help you.
        Cheers
        Callum

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Rick Howe" <rhowe@k...> wrote:
        > Still looking for a couple of kite handling hints on jump jibes.
        > thanks,
        >
        > rick

      • Rick Howe
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
          Callum - thank a lot!!! This is what I figured, but I was not sure, and I can't seem to master, it and can't find any videos, mags or whatever to fix my Hindenburg fixation (which I'm getting real tired of). Can't wait to try your advise . No other kiters here in Panama City Beach, Fl. I'm trying to help some learn now. Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out, as my water relaunching techniques have a lot to be desired also!!
          rick
          What exactly do you mean by "jump jibe?" If you want to jump going
          one direction and land travelling in the opposite direction you need
          to do the folowing - it'll take a bit of practise in timing the kite.

          1) Send the kite back slowly at first,
          2) release the edge of your board - your now jumping,
          3) now straighten the kite so it is flying directly above you
          4) when you start to descend pull with your old backhand and direct
          the kite in the opposite direction to which you were originally
          travelling.
          5)If you want to land Hot going the other direction you should land
          with the kite actually diving towards the water in the new direction -
          this will give you alot of speed.

          If your kite is a slower kite or you are not planning on going to
          high you may not have to straighten the kite (point 3 above) - just
          pull back and keep pulling.

          Hopefully this will help you.
          Cheers
          Callum

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Rick Howe" <rhowe@k...> wrote:
          > Still looking for a couple of kite handling hints on jump jibes.
          > thanks,
          >
          > rick

        • callum_downie
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
            One thing I didn't mention is it is easier to do (don't ask me why)
            if you actually do something in the air - like a back roll or
            something, rather than just dangling - I find If I just try it with
            an ordinary jump I often over balance. There is alot of info out
            there on how to do back rolls - basically look over your front
            shoulder when you launch - right over it like your trying to see your
            butt or something - that'll give you rotation and head will be in the
            right place to spot the landing.

            You should be able to do it tentativly only about 2ft off the water
            to start with so the stacks need not be excisvly hard.

            You also don't really need alot of forward speed when your going into
            the move to start with - as your putting the kite right into the
            top/middle of the window it'll have anough power by itself to launch
            you skyward!

            Service.

          • wndsrfr1
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
              Callum, thanks again for your expert advice - I understand
              the "don't ask me why" dilemma. I have several of "those" on a
              lower skill level. The kiters at the gorge at Hood River would do
              as you suggest, I believe. You are far ahead of me in this sport.
              Thanks again for your good advise. I just received a new AiRush 16
              several days ago, and have not had it on the water yet,-lack of wind
              and off shore, what there is.
              I'm curious as to your location. I don't mean to pry. If I figured
              correctly you are in England, the Canaries, Azores, or...
              Again I appreciate your time and effort - thanks

            • callum_downie
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
                "Callum, thanks again for your expert advice "

                Don't get to carried away with the "expert" hehe...

                I'm in none of the locations you mentioned - i'm in sydney

                Cya
                Callum

              • Rick Howe
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
                  Too late - I've already told friends about the "expert" advise I've gotten from you. I'll let you know if and when I have some success. Don't hold your breath waiting however.
                  Little wind here -1 bf or so. Tried the AiRush 16.
                  Sidney! I must have gotten am/pm mixed up. I ciao rick