Re: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 706

  • Thomas George DeMille
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hi all,

      First of all thank you to everyone who has answered my questions for the past 3 weeks. After two
      weeks of vacation I would like to announce that I can now get up easily, go in one direction very
      well, and in the other (my "off" direction for snowboarding) once in a while. I can also turn
      upwind in my natural foot position, and ride that way for an extended period of time. ITS
      AWESOME!!!!

      I do have another question. How do I control my speed going upwind? Is it a matter of turning
      more or less upwind? Or is it kite position? Is it sheeting in or out? (I am not using a
      chicken loop, but do have a sheeting strap).

      It seemed like the more upwind I turned the faster I went, and it got to a point where it was too
      fast (I had a 8.9 wipika on 18 knots steady) so I turned downwind a bit and sailed too close to
      my kite, untensioned the lines and crashed it.

      Tom

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • hink_trent
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2002
        --- In ksurfschool@y..., Thomas George DeMille <tdemille@y...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >> I do have another question. How do I control my speed going
        upwind? Is it a matter of turning
        > more or less upwind? Or is it kite position? Is it sheeting in or
        out? (I am not using a
        > chicken loop, but do have a sheeting strap).

        I learned on 2-line foils and just recently found out that it is
        much, much easier to go upwind with a chicken loop. With a 2-line
        kite you cnotrol your speed by turning on and off the wind. To slow
        down, you edge hard to turn upwind. During the time it takes for the
        kite to move toward the edge of the window, the kite will pull harder
        but if you keep edging the board hard and turning upwind you will
        slow down eventually.

        If you slow down too much you can get your speed back by turning more
        downwind and sining the kite if necessary.