Re: [ksurfschool] Wipika wind range

  • paul menta
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000

      Heh AL,check out my web site for wipika wind ranges,i fly them and can give you detailed info on what you need,the wind ranges are used by the low number showing that you have to" work the kite" at thses speeds and the higher number where you are powered up and almost at that hold on tight ride,i take mine over the wind ranges when i want to really get some air for tricks.Enjoy!!!!

      Paul Menta WWW.KITESURFTHEEARTH.COM

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000
        Re: [ksurfschool] Wipika wind range Hmmm...Good idea, but I don't think my finances will quite stretch that far...They cost around £820 over here. Aren't the AR5's supposed to be more difficult to water-relaunch too?  I suppose my best option would be to keep the 5.7m waterfoil and just get used to it....It does seem to have a very small wind range though. It doesn't have enough power to get me going in anything less than about 12 knots, and starts to become quite a handful in anything over 15 knots...So much so, that I can't even walk upwind across the beach with it either directly above my head, or at the edge of the window. Does anyone else have similar problems with the waterfoil?...maybe theres a tuning trick I could use to improve its wind range?

        Any suggestions? At the moment I'm flying it with a 3-line set up on 40m lines (see http://website.lineone.net/~justal/WebPage/corssover_frames.htm).

        My other alternative is to wait until the ARC is available here...Does anyone know how that compares to the Wipika Free Airs or the AR 5's?...In price, performance and wind range?

        Thanks,
        Al.

        That wind range can be handled easy with one kite, the AR5 11.5. Save
        yourself some money and buy just this one kite. I am a former foil flyer,
        now using AR5 kites. It is hard to believe that one kite can handle that
        range comfortably after having flown foils. It was hard for me to believe.
        After having my AR5 kites for 4 months, I am now a believer. You can handle
        8-18 knots with the 11.5.

        From the Fisher's Fort
        Kure Beach, NC
        Dwight & Jacky

        http://www.angelfire.com/nc/capefearwindsurfing/  (includes kitesurfing)

      • Farnsworth, Kenny
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000
          Dwight is right the AR-5 has so much more range than a foil kite. I
          personally use a 15.5 and a 9.5 to cover that range. I find that you need a
          bigger kite in the low wind range to have fun. The AR-5's are a cinch to
          relaunch once you know what to do. Check out the archives on the ksurf
          egroup. Dwight has given detailed instructions on how to relaunch an AR-5.

          The Wipika 11.0 Free Air is also a great kite. I have one, it is easier to
          relaunch than an AR-5. You will have to convert it to 4 lines if you want
          more range. I personally prefer the Naish AR-5 to the Wipika Free Air. The
          construction of the Naish is more stout and the air valves are one-way,
          while the Wipika's are not. In my opinion, the AR-5 is also more fun to
          fly, it is easier to go upwind and the range is incredible.

          That wind range can be handled easy with one kite, the AR5 11.5. Save
          yourself some money and buy just this one kite. I am a former foil flyer,
          now using AR5 kites. It is hard to believe that one kite can handle that
          range comfortably after having flown foils. It was hard for me to believe.
          After having my AR5 kites for 4 months, I am now a believer. You can handle
          8-18 knots with the 11.5.

          From the Fisher's Fort
          Kure Beach, NC
          Dwight & Jacky

          http://www.angelfire.com/nc/capefearwindsurfing/ (includes kitesurfing)

          > I'm toying with the idea of selling some of my foils (5.7m Waterfoil,
          Brand
          > new 7.2m Blade) so that I can buy one or more Wipika Free Airs.
          >
          > Can someone tell me (in knots) the realistic windrange of these kites for
          > kite-surfing.
          > Especially the 8.0m Free air and the 11.00m Free air. I need kites to
          cover
          > me for the 8-12 knot range and the 12-16 knot range....After that I can go
          > windsurfing....I presume really I'll need two kites to be comfortable over
          > the whole 8-16 knot range?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Al.
          > --
          > Alan Cole
          > Bryngwyn Mawr
          > Capel Seion
          > Aberystwyth
          > SY23 4EE
          >
          > Tel: 01970 880707
          > Mob: 07974392605
          > E-mail:justal@...
          > ICQ # 84562901

        • Dwight & Jacky
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000
            . It doesn't have enough power to get me going in
            anything less than about 12 knots, and starts to become quite a handful in
            anything over 15 knots...So much so, that I can't even walk upwind across
            the beach with it either directly above my head, or at the edge of the
            window. Does anyone else have similar problems with the waterfoil?...

            Most foils have the same terrible range. Do yourself a big favor and switch
            to the AR5. They are expensive, but you only need one kite, the 11.5. I have
            one friend who refuses to buy more Naish kites. He rides nothing but the
            11.5 all the time, because the range is so huge, and they are expensive.
            They are worth it when you experience the huge range and fantastic jumping
            and upwind superiority over all other kites.

            Dwight
          • Just Al
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000
              Re: [ksurfschool] Wipika wind range OK, OK I want one, I want one!!!...11.5m Naish AR5 that is...Trouble is they cost so much. This is how it all adds up here:

              11.5m Naish AR5Š£820

              My 5.7m waterfoil only cost £280...almost a third of the price...Thats a big difference, especially to someone of such humble means as myself!!  It's not fair, I NEED the performance of the a Naish AR5, but can only afford the waterfoil.

              Oh well, thanks for the advice everyone anyway. If anyone hears of an 11.5m Naish AR5 for sell cheaply then let me know...I'll be the one sat in the corner counting my pennies.
              Maybe I should sell my 4.9m Blade, my 7.2m Blade and my waterfoil...it doesn't seem right though selling 3 kites to buy one, and I'm certainly not going to do that until I've at least tried the AR5. I only bought the big Blade a couple of weeks ago as well.

              Looks like I'm back to square one...looking for ways to make money...any ideas?? Especially seeing as my final grant runs out next month...despite having another year of work to do on my thesis. Looks like its time to join the real world and get a job...then there'll be no time for kite-surfing so I won't need an AR5 anyway...not such a good idea after all.

              Cheers,
              Al.
              --
              E-mail:justal@...
              ICQ # 84562901

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000
                I was lucky enough to buy mine used, from a fellow that couldn't water
                launch it.

                From the Fisher's Fort