more Boogieboard

  • ex_cpe
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2002
      I've fiddled with them. Made a harness for one where the bar
      attaches to the board rather than your waist. It was good for high
      speed downwinders - then you had to stop to save a luffing kite.

      Had my local shaper, Jon Ashton, shape a hard board with four
      fins (two rear..two midway) and took it to Cabarete. Nobody
      down there was interested - except Tito, the one-legged kiter. He
      usually held onto an old surfboard and skimmed along. I gave
      him this board and the second tack he was getting upwind.
      There's so much focus on 'getting air' that only a one-legged kiter
      would probably have any long term interest.

      And then here locally, earlier this Summer - I saw two guys with
      some floppy old trainer and a cheap, little Morey doing knee
      skims in the beach wash at low tide. One would launch the kite
      and the other would go zooming down the beach like a
      skimboard. That was pretty cool even with crappy gear.

      I had my local Bodyboard shop get me one of the new TOOBS
      stand up-board with a flip nose and stiff body.... and I've glued
      the non-skid used on wetsuit knees as traction surface. I've got
      a little 3.5 blimp to try it with. I suspect I can duplicate some
      skimboard action at low time. Problem: touristas walk
      up/down the beach and I'd hate to crash the kite into them.
      Crashing offshore is no problem - nobody goes out there 'cept
      me.

      I'll post some results. Cheers.

      Jim
      wetstuff.com