Re: [ksurfschool] Wipika wind range

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11 2:59 AM
      That wind range can be handled easy with one kite, the AR5 11.5. Save
      yourself some money and buy just this one kite. I am a former foil flyer,
      now using AR5 kites. It is hard to believe that one kite can handle that
      range comfortably after having flown foils. It was hard for me to believe.
      After having my AR5 kites for 4 months, I am now a believer. You can handle
      8-18 knots with the 11.5.

      From the Fisher's Fort
      Kure Beach, NC
      Dwight & Jacky

      http://www.angelfire.com/nc/capefearwindsurfing/ (includes kitesurfing)

      > I'm toying with the idea of selling some of my foils (5.7m Waterfoil,
      Brand
      > new 7.2m Blade) so that I can buy one or more Wipika Free Airs.
      >
      > Can someone tell me (in knots) the realistic windrange of these kites for
      > kite-surfing.
      > Especially the 8.0m Free air and the 11.00m Free air. I need kites to
      cover
      > me for the 8-12 knot range and the 12-16 knot range....After that I can go
      > windsurfing....I presume really I'll need two kites to be comfortable over
      > the whole 8-16 knot range?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Al.
      > --
      > Alan Cole
      > Bryngwyn Mawr
      > Capel Seion
      > Aberystwyth
      > SY23 4EE
      >
      > Tel: 01970 880707
      > Mob: 07974392605
      > E-mail:justal@...
      > ICQ # 84562901

    • paul menta
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11 5:59 AM

        Heh AL,check out my web site for wipika wind ranges,i fly them and can give you detailed info on what you need,the wind ranges are used by the low number showing that you have to" work the kite" at thses speeds and the higher number where you are powered up and almost at that hold on tight ride,i take mine over the wind ranges when i want to really get some air for tricks.Enjoy!!!!

        Paul Menta WWW.KITESURFTHEEARTH.COM

[...]

        -------------------------------------------------------------------- PerformanceDiver.com - The Widest Selection and the Lowest Prices
        All On Sale! With savings up to 60% on an entire line,
        you don't want to miss the boat!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/7528/12/_/60094/_/965983297/

      • Just Al
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11 7:06 AM
          Re: [ksurfschool] Wipika wind range Hmmm...Good idea, but I don't think my finances will quite stretch that far...They cost around £820 over here. Aren't the AR5's supposed to be more difficult to water-relaunch too?  I suppose my best option would be to keep the 5.7m waterfoil and just get used to it....It does seem to have a very small wind range though. It doesn't have enough power to get me going in anything less than about 12 knots, and starts to become quite a handful in anything over 15 knots...So much so, that I can't even walk upwind across the beach with it either directly above my head, or at the edge of the window. Does anyone else have similar problems with the waterfoil?...maybe theres a tuning trick I could use to improve its wind range?

          Any suggestions? At the moment I'm flying it with a 3-line set up on 40m lines (see http://website.lineone.net/~justal/WebPage/corssover_frames.htm).

          My other alternative is to wait until the ARC is available here...Does anyone know how that compares to the Wipika Free Airs or the AR 5's?...In price, performance and wind range?

          Thanks,
          Al.

          That wind range can be handled easy with one kite, the AR5 11.5. Save
          yourself some money and buy just this one kite. I am a former foil flyer,
          now using AR5 kites. It is hard to believe that one kite can handle that
          range comfortably after having flown foils. It was hard for me to believe.
          After having my AR5 kites for 4 months, I am now a believer. You can handle
          8-18 knots with the 11.5.

          From the Fisher's Fort
          Kure Beach, NC
          Dwight & Jacky

          http://www.angelfire.com/nc/capefearwindsurfing/  (includes kitesurfing)

        • Farnsworth, Kenny
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11 9:17 AM
            Dwight is right the AR-5 has so much more range than a foil kite. I
            personally use a 15.5 and a 9.5 to cover that range. I find that you need a
            bigger kite in the low wind range to have fun. The AR-5's are a cinch to
            relaunch once you know what to do. Check out the archives on the ksurf
            egroup. Dwight has given detailed instructions on how to relaunch an AR-5.

            The Wipika 11.0 Free Air is also a great kite. I have one, it is easier to
            relaunch than an AR-5. You will have to convert it to 4 lines if you want
            more range. I personally prefer the Naish AR-5 to the Wipika Free Air. The
            construction of the Naish is more stout and the air valves are one-way,
            while the Wipika's are not. In my opinion, the AR-5 is also more fun to
            fly, it is easier to go upwind and the range is incredible.

            That wind range can be handled easy with one kite, the AR5 11.5. Save
            yourself some money and buy just this one kite. I am a former foil flyer,
            now using AR5 kites. It is hard to believe that one kite can handle that
            range comfortably after having flown foils. It was hard for me to believe.
            After having my AR5 kites for 4 months, I am now a believer. You can handle
            8-18 knots with the 11.5.

            From the Fisher's Fort
            Kure Beach, NC
            Dwight & Jacky

            http://www.angelfire.com/nc/capefearwindsurfing/ (includes kitesurfing)

            > I'm toying with the idea of selling some of my foils (5.7m Waterfoil,
            Brand
            > new 7.2m Blade) so that I can buy one or more Wipika Free Airs.
            >
            > Can someone tell me (in knots) the realistic windrange of these kites for
            > kite-surfing.
            > Especially the 8.0m Free air and the 11.00m Free air. I need kites to
            cover
            > me for the 8-12 knot range and the 12-16 knot range....After that I can go
            > windsurfing....I presume really I'll need two kites to be comfortable over
            > the whole 8-16 knot range?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Al.
            > --
            > Alan Cole
            > Bryngwyn Mawr
            > Capel Seion
            > Aberystwyth
            > SY23 4EE
            >
            > Tel: 01970 880707
            > Mob: 07974392605
            > E-mail:justal@...
            > ICQ # 84562901

          • Dwight & Jacky
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11 2:26 PM
              . It doesn't have enough power to get me going in
              anything less than about 12 knots, and starts to become quite a handful in
              anything over 15 knots...So much so, that I can't even walk upwind across
              the beach with it either directly above my head, or at the edge of the
              window. Does anyone else have similar problems with the waterfoil?...

              Most foils have the same terrible range. Do yourself a big favor and switch
              to the AR5. They are expensive, but you only need one kite, the 11.5. I have
              one friend who refuses to buy more Naish kites. He rides nothing but the
              11.5 all the time, because the range is so huge, and they are expensive.
              They are worth it when you experience the huge range and fantastic jumping
              and upwind superiority over all other kites.

              Dwight
            • Just Al
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11 3:00 PM
                Re: [ksurfschool] Wipika wind range OK, OK I want one, I want one!!!...11.5m Naish AR5 that is...Trouble is they cost so much. This is how it all adds up here:

                11.5m Naish AR5Š£820

                My 5.7m waterfoil only cost £280...almost a third of the price...Thats a big difference, especially to someone of such humble means as myself!!  It's not fair, I NEED the performance of the a Naish AR5, but can only afford the waterfoil.

                Oh well, thanks for the advice everyone anyway. If anyone hears of an 11.5m Naish AR5 for sell cheaply then let me know...I'll be the one sat in the corner counting my pennies.
                Maybe I should sell my 4.9m Blade, my 7.2m Blade and my waterfoil...it doesn't seem right though selling 3 kites to buy one, and I'm certainly not going to do that until I've at least tried the AR5. I only bought the big Blade a couple of weeks ago as well.

                Looks like I'm back to square one...looking for ways to make money...any ideas?? Especially seeing as my final grant runs out next month...despite having another year of work to do on my thesis. Looks like its time to join the real world and get a job...then there'll be no time for kite-surfing so I won't need an AR5 anyway...not such a good idea after all.

                Cheers,
                Al.
                --
                E-mail:justal@...
                ICQ # 84562901

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 11 6:10 PM
                  I was lucky enough to buy mine used, from a fellow that couldn't water
                  launch it.

                  From the Fisher's Fort