new board twin tip

  • bill2142002
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2002
      Hi

      I want to buy a bi-directional board. I currently have a naish 5.5
      which I enjoy riding but find a pain to jibe with. I come from a
      skateboard/snowboard background and a twin tip appeals to me. I
      weight 75 kg, am 1.7m tall and can get upwind and starting to do
      small jumps.I get the most use out of my arx9.5 out here with the
      winds regularly around 15 knots and quite a few days 15-20 plus?
      There a number of different spots around here with smallish waves,
      chop to flat water. I was thinking of getting a naish TT 5.6 or a
      5.3, or a Cabrinha Prankster 172. Will it be alot harder to ride such
      a board compared to the mutant and will I need significantly more
      power. I want a board which will stay with me as I hopefully
      progress, I would keep the mutant for lighter wind days but ideally
      would want to use the TT most of the time. Will the naish TT or
      Cabrinha Prankster feel alot different to ride compared to the mutant
      if so in what way, I have got used to the feel of the mutant.

      To many questions probably - thanks for any advice

      Bill
    • vytaspass
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2002
        The smaller the baord, the more power you'll need (i.e. one size
        larger kite). But, if you're jumping, and want to get high, this is
        what you want. Smaller boards weigh less and larger kites generate
        mroe power for a good pop off the water.

        I'd also look into the jarvis 157 which is a changeable board.
        Slingshot also makes a dimis twin picklefork-style design for jumping
        in the size 157.

        Look into lightwave, the naish, heck you can even go for a Dr. Koop
        which is tiny...but the smaller the board, the more power you need.
        Keep in mind if you skew the ratio of kitesize to board too far, your
        physical condition should be stronger to resist the kite longer and
        stay out riding before getting tired.

        www.chicagokitesurfing.com