[ksurfschool] Digest Number 680

  • Vic Winkler - Sun Micro. // McLean
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2002
      Steve

      I am not sure I understand what you mean by:

      "steering with one arm and extending the other"

      The "steering..." part is clear, the "extending the other"
      is not.

      Please describe what the other arm is doing.

      best,
      vic

      > Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:20:22 +1000
      > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
      > Subject: RE: How about... upwind body dragging?
      >
      > You absolutely can body drag upwind, we teach people to do it in our school.
      > I have done it numerous times.
      > Every experienced kiteboarder should be able to do it too.
      > But there are some conditions
      > You can only do it with inflatables, arcs, and flysurfers and similar foils
      > Basically you can only do it with kites that you can change the angle of
      > attack on, 4 lined inflato's, arcs, and variable AOA foils like flysurfers.
      > You must be powered up, it is impossible to body drag upwind when
      > underpowered.
      > You need to sheet out as far as possible and keep your body straight as
      > possible, steering with one arm and extending the other.
      > You must practice it, to learn how to do it.
      >
      > Cya and
      > Goodwinds
      > Steve McCormack
      > http://www.kitepower.com.au
      > mailto:sydney@...
      > Open 7 days
      > Phone +61293157894
    • vytaspass
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2002
        Your steering arm is on the bar, steering the kite, while you're
        hooked in to the spreader bar, your other arm, the arm that's down in
        the water, is extended forward, in front of your head, in the
        direction you want to go (into the wind), along the top surface of
        the water. Your arm and the rest of your body is as straight as
        possible to prevent drag, and promote upwind movement.

        www.chicagokitesurfing.com

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Vic Winkler - Sun Micro. // McLean"