Re: How about... upwind body dragging?

  • hink_trent
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3 8:05 AM
      I am using 3 line mosquito foils. Although I probably can't bodydrag
      into the wind I can hold my ground very well by body dragging on a
      beam reach. It is a very good skill to have because if your board
      ends up upwind of you, you can slow your downwind drift to the point
      where the board will catch up with you pretty quickly (2 or 3 tacks).
      then you can grab your board and get on rhather than body drag to the
      beach and stand around like a kook waiting for your board to drift in.

      You need to have a kite that is powered up pretty well and a harness
      to hook into. Use one hand to dive the kite toward the side of the
      window to get you going, then stick your other hand down into the
      water like a fin and keep your body straight and pointing towards the
      kite.

      If you don't move at all when you park the kite at the side of the
      window, then you do not have enough power.

    • vytaspass
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4 7:09 AM
        Although I don't ever know if I'm going "upwind" or not (I doubt it),
        the point is that when its windy and you lose your board, the water
        current and the wind will blow the board further downwind, than you,
        if you're doing the bodydrag as Kitepower says. Extend that hand out
        and use it to force your direction into the wind as much as possible.
        Keep an idea of how far you're dragging each way from your board, so
        you don't freak out when you think you've lost it (its there, it
        won't sink). You can jump up using the kite a few feet off the water
        if the rollers are big to help you re-locate its position. Usually,
        one back-and-forth run of a hundred feet will get you back to your
        board - if you didn't lose it too far upwind of you.

        www.chicagokitesurfing.com