Re: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 679

  • Thomas George DeMille
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3 7:57 AM
      The reason I ask about dragging upwind is because I have been reading incident reports, and many
      of them involve "board meets head". I hear that once you can drag upwind it is a good idea to NOT
      use a leash.

      Steve, in your opinion would it be possible to go upwind with a wipika free air 8.9 rigged 2 line?
      I think the answer is probably no, reading your previous post. What about if I rig it 4 line?

      Thanks for all the info!

      -=tgd=-

      --- ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > There are 5 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. How about... upwind body dragging?
      > From: "tdemille" <tdemille@...>
      > 2. Re: How about... upwind body dragging?
      > From: Denisesewa@...
      > 3. RE: How about... upwind body dragging?
      > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
      > 4. Re: How about... upwind body dragging?
      > From: Denisesewa@...
      > 5. RE: How about... upwind body dragging?
      > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 01:32:24 -0000
      > From: "tdemille" <tdemille@...>
      > Subject: How about... upwind body dragging?
      >
      > Anyone got any hints for this? I hear its a good skill to practice
      > before you even try the board. I have a whole weekend on Martha's
      > Vineyard with just me and my kite, no board...

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 22:35:23 EDT
      > From: Denisesewa@...
      > Subject: Re: How about... upwind body dragging?
      >
      > In a message dated 8/2/2002 6:33:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
      > tdemille@... writes:
      >

      > > Anyone got any hints for this? I hear its a good skill to practice
      > > before you even try the board. I have a whole weekend on Martha's
      > > Vineyard with just me and my kite, no board...
      > >

      > The body draggin I've done has resulted in a broad reach at best and I'm
      > sure my downwind progress was more than it felt like, I dont believe its
      > possible to drag upwind without the edge of the board redirecting your
      > momentum,you are kinda like a sailbout without a keel, no lateral resistance
      > = downwind you go!!
      > Good luck, whatever you do, be safe and have fun!!
      > Denise
      > http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:20:22 +1000
      > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
      > Subject: RE: How about... upwind body dragging?
      >
      > You absolutely can body drag upwind, we teach people to do it in our school.
      > I have done it numerous times.
      > Every experienced kiteboarder should be able to do it too.
      > But there are some conditions
      > You can only do it with inflatables, arcs, and flysurfers and similar foils
      > Basically you can only do it with kites that you can change the angle of
      > attack on, 4 lined inflato's, arcs, and variable AOA foils like flysurfers.
      > You must be powered up, it is impossible to body drag upwind when
      > underpowered.
      > You need to sheet out as far as possible and keep your body straight as
      > possible, steering with one arm and extending the other.
      > You must practice it, to learn how to do it.
      >
      > Cya and
      > Goodwinds
      > Steve McCormack
      > http://www.kitepower.com.au
      > mailto:sydney@...
      > Open 7 days
      > Phone +61293157894

      =====
      ~~~~~~~_\\|//_
      ~~~~~~~(.O-O.)
      ~~~oOO0~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~
      Thomas DeMille, Boston MA 617-512-8674
      **RENT MY VACATION HOMES**
      Caribbean Cabana: http://roatan.islandrentals.org
      Marthas Vineyard: http://mv.islandrentals.org

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3 2:21 PM
        G'day thomas
        No you won't body drag upwind with a 2lined inflato, but if you 4 line it, and are using it in enough wind, then you will be able to body drag upwind easily.
        I suspect a lot of people are going to lose boards in the process of learning to body drag, that is why the Oceanus Reel leash is so good, you can clip it on or off in the water with one hand easily.
        It has saved my board before, when the tide changed in the river mouth I often kite in. There are often rips and currents in the ocean beware of not being able to get back to your board, don't keep trying when you make no ground on it after several passes, body drag to shore and run upwind or downwind and drag back out to it.
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        open 7 days, every week.
> [...]

        > Message: 3
        > Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:20:22 +1000
        > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
        > Subject: RE: How about... upwind body dragging?
        >
        > You absolutely can body drag upwind, we teach people to do it in our school.
        > I have done it numerous times.
        > Every experienced kiteboarder should be able to do it too.
        > But there are some conditions
        > You can only do it with inflatables, arcs, and flysurfers and similar foils
        > Basically you can only do it with kites that you can change the angle of
        > attack on, 4 lined inflato's, arcs, and variable AOA foils like flysurfers.
        > You must be powered up, it is impossible to body drag upwind when
        > underpowered.
        > You need to sheet out as far as possible and keep your body straight as
        > possible, steering with one arm and extending the other.
        > You must practice it, to learn how to do it.

        =====