RE: [ksurfschool] How about... upwind body dragging?

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
      Is that the Concept Air New Wave foils?
      If so, sorry but no! :-(
      They do not have adjustable AOA, like the Flysurfers. Booms, etc

      No need to remove the foot though as you were quite right, you generally
      cannot bodydrag upwind with that kite, but I bet in the right, narrow wind
      range you can.

      http://www.kitepower.com.au
      mailto:sydney@...
      Open 7 days
      126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
      Phone +61293157894

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
        I am using 3 line mosquito foils. Although I probably can't bodydrag
        into the wind I can hold my ground very well by body dragging on a
        beam reach. It is a very good skill to have because if your board
        ends up upwind of you, you can slow your downwind drift to the point
        where the board will catch up with you pretty quickly (2 or 3 tacks).
        then you can grab your board and get on rhather than body drag to the
        beach and stand around like a kook waiting for your board to drift in.

        You need to have a kite that is powered up pretty well and a harness
        to hook into. Use one hand to dive the kite toward the side of the
        window to get you going, then stick your other hand down into the
        water like a fin and keep your body straight and pointing towards the
        kite.

        If you don't move at all when you park the kite at the side of the
        window, then you do not have enough power.

      • vytaspass
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2002
          Although I don't ever know if I'm going "upwind" or not (I doubt it),
          the point is that when its windy and you lose your board, the water
          current and the wind will blow the board further downwind, than you,
          if you're doing the bodydrag as Kitepower says. Extend that hand out
          and use it to force your direction into the wind as much as possible.
          Keep an idea of how far you're dragging each way from your board, so
          you don't freak out when you think you've lost it (its there, it
          won't sink). You can jump up using the kite a few feet off the water
          if the rollers are big to help you re-locate its position. Usually,
          one back-and-forth run of a hundred feet will get you back to your
          board - if you didn't lose it too far upwind of you.

          www.chicagokitesurfing.com