RE: [ksurfschool] How about... upwind body dragging?

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 8:20 PM
      You absolutely can body drag upwind, we teach people to do it in our school.
      I have done it numerous times.
      Every experienced kiteboarder should be able to do it too.
      But there are some conditions
      You can only do it with inflatables, arcs, and flysurfers and similar foils
      Basically you can only do it with kites that you can change the angle of
      attack on, 4 lined inflato's, arcs, and variable AOA foils like flysurfers.
      You must be powered up, it is impossible to body drag upwind when
      underpowered.
      You need to sheet out as far as possible and keep your body straight as
      possible, steering with one arm and extending the other.
      You must practice it, to learn how to do it.

      http://www.kitepower.com.au
      mailto:sydney@...
      Open 7 days
      126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
      Phone +61293157894

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3 12:40 AM
        In a message dated 8/2/2002 8:24:10 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
        sydney@... writes:

        > You absolutely can body drag upwind, we teach people to do it in our school.
        > I have done it numerous times.
        > Every experienced kiteboarder should be able to do it too.
        > But there are some conditions
        > You can only do it with inflatables, arcs, and flysurfers and similar foils
        > Basically you can only do it with kites that you can change the angle of
        > attack on, 4 lined inflato's, arcs, and variable AOA foils like flysurfers.
        > You must be powered up, it is impossible to body drag upwind when
        > underpowered.
        > You need to sheet out as far as possible and keep your body straight as
        > possible, steering with one arm and extending the other.
        > You must practice it, to learn how to do it.
        >
        > Cya and
        > Goodwinds
        > Steve McCormack

        As she gently takes her foot out of mouth :)
        O-well >> shrug<<
        So I assume my New waves in 3 line mode are capable Steve??

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3 12:54 AM
          Is that the Concept Air New Wave foils?
          If so, sorry but no! :-(
          They do not have adjustable AOA, like the Flysurfers. Booms, etc

          No need to remove the foot though as you were quite right, you generally
          cannot bodydrag upwind with that kite, but I bet in the right, narrow wind
          range you can.

          sydney@... writes:

          > You absolutely can body drag upwind, we teach people to do it in our
          school.
          > I have done it numerous times.
          > Every experienced kiteboarder should be able to do it too.
          > But there are some conditions
          > You can only do it with inflatables, arcs, and flysurfers and similar
          foils
          > Basically you can only do it with kites that you can change the angle of
          > attack on, 4 lined inflato's, arcs, and variable AOA foils like
          flysurfers.
          > You must be powered up, it is impossible to body drag upwind when
          > underpowered.
          > You need to sheet out as far as possible and keep your body straight as
          > possible, steering with one arm and extending the other.
          > You must practice it, to learn how to do it.
          >
          > Cya and
          > Goodwinds
          > Steve McCormack

          As she gently takes her foot out of mouth :)
          O-well >> shrug<<
          So I assume my New waves in 3 line mode are capable Steve??
          Denise
          http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

        • hink_trent
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3 8:05 AM
            I am using 3 line mosquito foils. Although I probably can't bodydrag
            into the wind I can hold my ground very well by body dragging on a
            beam reach. It is a very good skill to have because if your board
            ends up upwind of you, you can slow your downwind drift to the point
            where the board will catch up with you pretty quickly (2 or 3 tacks).
            then you can grab your board and get on rhather than body drag to the
            beach and stand around like a kook waiting for your board to drift in.

            You need to have a kite that is powered up pretty well and a harness
            to hook into. Use one hand to dive the kite toward the side of the
            window to get you going, then stick your other hand down into the
            water like a fin and keep your body straight and pointing towards the
            kite.

            If you don't move at all when you park the kite at the side of the
            window, then you do not have enough power.

          • vytaspass
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4 7:09 AM
              Although I don't ever know if I'm going "upwind" or not (I doubt it),
              the point is that when its windy and you lose your board, the water
              current and the wind will blow the board further downwind, than you,
              if you're doing the bodydrag as Kitepower says. Extend that hand out
              and use it to force your direction into the wind as much as possible.
              Keep an idea of how far you're dragging each way from your board, so
              you don't freak out when you think you've lost it (its there, it
              won't sink). You can jump up using the kite a few feet off the water
              if the rollers are big to help you re-locate its position. Usually,
              one back-and-forth run of a hundred feet will get you back to your
              board - if you didn't lose it too far upwind of you.

              www.chicagokitesurfing.com