How about... upwind body dragging?

  • tdemille
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
      Anyone got any hints for this? I hear its a good skill to practice
      before you even try the board. I have a whole weekend on Martha's
      Vineyard with just me and my kite, no board...
    • Denisesewa@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
        In a message dated 8/2/2002 6:33:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
        tdemille@... writes:

        > Anyone got any hints for this? I hear its a good skill to practice
        > before you even try the board. I have a whole weekend on Martha's
        > Vineyard with just me and my kite, no board...

        The body draggin I've done has resulted in a broad reach at best and I'm
        sure my downwind progress was more than it felt like, I dont believe its
        possible to drag upwind without the edge of the board redirecting your
        momentum,you are kinda like a sailbout without a keel, no lateral resistance
        = downwind you go!!
        Good luck, whatever you do, be safe and have fun!!
        Denise
        http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
          You absolutely can body drag upwind, we teach people to do it in our school.
          I have done it numerous times.
          Every experienced kiteboarder should be able to do it too.
          But there are some conditions
          You can only do it with inflatables, arcs, and flysurfers and similar foils
          Basically you can only do it with kites that you can change the angle of
          attack on, 4 lined inflato's, arcs, and variable AOA foils like flysurfers.
          You must be powered up, it is impossible to body drag upwind when
          underpowered.
          You need to sheet out as far as possible and keep your body straight as
          possible, steering with one arm and extending the other.
          You must practice it, to learn how to do it.

          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          mailto:sydney@...
          Open 7 days
          126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
          Phone +61293157894

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
            In a message dated 8/2/2002 8:24:10 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
            sydney@... writes:

            > You absolutely can body drag upwind, we teach people to do it in our school.
            > I have done it numerous times.
            > Every experienced kiteboarder should be able to do it too.
            > But there are some conditions
            > You can only do it with inflatables, arcs, and flysurfers and similar foils
            > Basically you can only do it with kites that you can change the angle of
            > attack on, 4 lined inflato's, arcs, and variable AOA foils like flysurfers.
            > You must be powered up, it is impossible to body drag upwind when
            > underpowered.
            > You need to sheet out as far as possible and keep your body straight as
            > possible, steering with one arm and extending the other.
            > You must practice it, to learn how to do it.
            >
            > Cya and
            > Goodwinds
            > Steve McCormack

            As she gently takes her foot out of mouth :)
            O-well >> shrug<<
            So I assume my New waves in 3 line mode are capable Steve??

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
              Is that the Concept Air New Wave foils?
              If so, sorry but no! :-(
              They do not have adjustable AOA, like the Flysurfers. Booms, etc

              No need to remove the foot though as you were quite right, you generally
              cannot bodydrag upwind with that kite, but I bet in the right, narrow wind
              range you can.

              sydney@... writes:

              > You absolutely can body drag upwind, we teach people to do it in our
              school.
              > I have done it numerous times.
              > Every experienced kiteboarder should be able to do it too.
              > But there are some conditions
              > You can only do it with inflatables, arcs, and flysurfers and similar
              foils
              > Basically you can only do it with kites that you can change the angle of
              > attack on, 4 lined inflato's, arcs, and variable AOA foils like
              flysurfers.
              > You must be powered up, it is impossible to body drag upwind when
              > underpowered.
              > You need to sheet out as far as possible and keep your body straight as
              > possible, steering with one arm and extending the other.
              > You must practice it, to learn how to do it.
              >
              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack

              As she gently takes her foot out of mouth :)
              O-well >> shrug<<
              So I assume my New waves in 3 line mode are capable Steve??
              Denise
              http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

            • hink_trent
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
                I am using 3 line mosquito foils. Although I probably can't bodydrag
                into the wind I can hold my ground very well by body dragging on a
                beam reach. It is a very good skill to have because if your board
                ends up upwind of you, you can slow your downwind drift to the point
                where the board will catch up with you pretty quickly (2 or 3 tacks).
                then you can grab your board and get on rhather than body drag to the
                beach and stand around like a kook waiting for your board to drift in.

                You need to have a kite that is powered up pretty well and a harness
                to hook into. Use one hand to dive the kite toward the side of the
                window to get you going, then stick your other hand down into the
                water like a fin and keep your body straight and pointing towards the
                kite.

                If you don't move at all when you park the kite at the side of the
                window, then you do not have enough power.

              • vytaspass
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2002
                  Although I don't ever know if I'm going "upwind" or not (I doubt it),
                  the point is that when its windy and you lose your board, the water
                  current and the wind will blow the board further downwind, than you,
                  if you're doing the bodydrag as Kitepower says. Extend that hand out
                  and use it to force your direction into the wind as much as possible.
                  Keep an idea of how far you're dragging each way from your board, so
                  you don't freak out when you think you've lost it (its there, it
                  won't sink). You can jump up using the kite a few feet off the water
                  if the rollers are big to help you re-locate its position. Usually,
                  one back-and-forth run of a hundred feet will get you back to your
                  board - if you didn't lose it too far upwind of you.

                  www.chicagokitesurfing.com