RE: [ksurfschool] Flying Upwind

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2002
      Phew that's good to hear! Still I want to remind you that there are skills
      you do not have - kite flying skills!
      Only time spent at the end of the lines develops kite flying skill, nothing
      can replace it, no amount of video watching or internet surfing will replace
      it.
      Please spend as much time as possible flying the kite in the water without
      the board, or with a smaller trainer foil to learn about the wind window
      which is invisible and rotates about you as you kiteboard.
      This rotating of the wind window is the hardest thing for novice kite flyers
      to pick up, when you fly on land it does not happen if you are just
      standing, only if you are moving like in a buggy or on a mountainboard.
      It is not worth trying to explain in words either (someone else might give
      it a try), it is more important to actually get outside and fly your kite
      enough so that you can feel where the wind window is. Understanding that it
      moves as you do and rotates lightly as you edge upwind is all you really
      need to know, as you monitor where you are in relation to the edge of the
      wind window automatically as you progress to being an experienced kite
      flyer.

      Only experienced kite flyers get to be beginner kite boarders, who then
      learn to kiteboard quickly, but who also find that their kite flying skills
      need to be constantly improved to get to each of the "levels" in
      kiteboarding.
      The "levels" being,
      Water starting,
      Going upwind and returning to your start point on the beach
      Jumping and landing without falling, includes large/high jumping and landing
      safely
      Spins and grabs in both directions
      Transitions combining spins and grabs in both directions
      and onwards, as no-one will ever be the perfect and all knowing kite
      boarder!

      Respect the winds, no-one controls them, never let your ego or anyone else's
      convince you that you can, listen to your intuition when out kiteboarding,
      it is a sport that puts you in that space very quickly and easily.

      http://www.kitepower.com.au
      mailto:sydney@...
      Open 7 days
      126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
      Phone +61293157894

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        It appears to me that a lot of questions could be answered if we could visualise what was being explained. Videos go a long way to doing this but its sometimes hard
        to 'see the woods for the trees'. There's so much going on in a video that its hard to see the fundamentals

        I was wondering if there is anyone on this group with some graphic animation expertise who could run up a kiteboard version of what this guy has done with buggying?

        http://www.geocities.com/grimble2_uk/downTurn.html

        See the other techniques as well

        regards

      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
          Essentially it would look the same, but there is a fundamental flaw in that animation. The buggys tracks should have crossed its own shortly after completing the turn.
          I guess it is realisitic of what begginers actually do, but it is not a good indication of what actually needs to happen in real life.
          It is the same with kite boarding.
          When the buggier started to turn towards the kite line tension would have decreased, this can cause a kite to luff or stall out. When turning downwind (gibing) on a buggy or kiteboard you need to turn the kite first and then follow through with yourself, and the only thing you really need to keep focus on is line tension!
          You must do whatever you can to maintain an even or smooth rate of line tension, the only way to keep the lines tight is to steer away from the kite.
          Focus on that and you will pick up gibing on a kiteboard very quickly (or a buggy).
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          open 7 days, every week.
> [...]

          >> > cape/Martha's vineyard.
          >> >

          >> Try a post on the egroup for NEKS. Northeast Kitesurfers. You may
          >> have some luck there. There are a few of the guys who kite at Pine
          >> Point in Southern Maine with the majority of the group in the Cape
          >> Cod/ Boston/ Connecticut area.
          >>
          >> Good Luck
          >> Pat
          >> > -=tgd=-

          >> Message: 2
          >> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:32:19 +1000
          >> From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
          >> Subject: Re: I want to try this in Romania (COM)
          >>
          >> There is a growing list of shop demo and used gear on the Kitepower website, changes are made
          >> daily.
          >> http://www.kitepower.com.au/news/images/full_news.asp?mode=shownews&id=116
          >> This page contains links to the lists at each shop, there are 43 items in total.

        • hink_trent
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2002
            --- In ksurfschool@y..., "pauric o'callaghan" <paurico@p...> wrote:
            > It appears to me that a lot of questions could be answered if we
            could visualise what was being explained. Videos go a long way to
            doing this but its sometimes hard
            > to 'see the woods for the trees'. There's so much going on in a
            video that its hard to see the fundamentals

            I just wanted to say that i think that the videos I have seen are
            pretty crappy when it comes to teaching kiting. They try to hype
            everything by stringing a bunch of fast action clips, and it is too
            much to take in at once. Frequently they just don't show things; the
            Boost video only has one clear shot showing what is going on with
            both the kite and ther rider when the rider jumps - the clip is in
            full speed, about 5 seconds long, and it is not even shown with the
            jumping lesson!
          • Denisesewa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2002
              In a message dated 8/3/2002 8:20:29 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
              hink_trent@... writes:

              > I just wanted to say that i think that the videos I have seen are
              > pretty crappy when it comes to teaching kiting. They try to hype
              > everything by stringing a bunch of fast action clips, and it is too
              > much to take in at once. Frequently they just don't show things; the
              > Boost video only has one clear shot showing what is going on with
              > both the kite and ther rider when the rider jumps - the clip is in
              > full speed, about 5 seconds long, and it is not even shown with the
              > jumping lesson!

              I have been thinking about ordering the boost videos, anyone have a copy
              they are finished with?? , e-mail me
              Denise
              http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html