Flying Upwind

  • Thomas George DeMille
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2002
      My last post I guess scared everyone that I was going to just jump on my board and go out on a 20
      knot day near a powerline. I actually have had a lesson from a local RealKite guy, but the wind
      died in the afternoon and did not get to body dragging yet. But I have flown the kite. Also have
      watched "how to rip" and "boostII" about 15 times. So I am very familiar with the concepts of
      safety, learning by body dragging, where to launch, how to launch, what to do and not do.

      My question about upwind was so I could get there faster rather than slower, but not in a reckless
      manner.

      I guess my question is if I am going upwind am I basically using the edge of the board to edge so
      hard that I basically have the kite behind me a bit (at the edge of the wind window) as I go
      upwind? As opposed to going downwind where I understand the kite is going to be near the edge of
      the wind window, but in front of me. (By front and back I mean ahead or behind my leading foot,
      not in front or behind my back)

      I water ski, surf behind a zodiac, ski and snowboard, so I am confident that I will pick up the
      board riding quite quickly. Just trying to get educated basically.

      So don't worry all, I'm not going to take anyone out on the beach, or fly myself into a power
      line.

      Thanks for the concern and advice,
      -=tgd=-

      --- ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > There are 9 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: Anyone on the list ride in the boston area?
      > From: "pksebago" <Patkeeley@...>
      > 2. Re: I want to try this in Romania (COM)
      > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
      > 3. Re: riding upwind
      > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
      > 4. Litewave Designs & Kitemare.com rock!
      > From: "kiteboardertobe" <jpkeyzer@...>
      > 5. Re: Litewave Designs & Kitemare.com rock!
      > From: "fernmanus" <fernmanus@...>
      > 6. Re: riding upwind
      > From: "fernmanus" <fernmanus@...>
      > 7. Cabrina BT 12.2 and 15.5 for sale on eBay now
      > From: "gankpimp" <gankpimp@...>
      > 8. Stock Analyzer Alert: OTCBB: :SMTV NOZCIKB
      > From: "Market Monitor Extreme" <marketmaker6@...>
      > 9. Board dynamics
      > From: Hung Vu <hungvu@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:45:38 -0000
      > From: "pksebago" <Patkeeley@...>
      > Subject: Re: Anyone on the list ride in the boston area?
      >
      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "tdemille" <tdemille@y...> wrote:
      > > Would be interested in:
      > >
      > > Hooking up with you some time for riding perhaps:
      > >
      > > Places to go, especially North of Boston, but also including
      > > cape/Martha's vineyard.
      > >

      > Try a post on the egroup for NEKS. Northeast Kitesurfers. You may
      > have some luck there. There are a few of the guys who kite at Pine
      > Point in Southern Maine with the majority of the group in the Cape
      > Cod/ Boston/ Connecticut area.
      >
      > Good Luck
      > Pat
      > > -=tgd=-

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:32:19 +1000
      > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
      > Subject: Re: I want to try this in Romania (COM)
      >
      > There is a growing list of shop demo and used gear on the Kitepower website, changes are made
      > daily.
      > http://www.kitepower.com.au/news/images/full_news.asp?mode=shownews&id=116
      > This page contains links to the lists at each shop, there are 43 items in total.
      > We use UPS for international shipping.
      > Cya and
      > Goodwinds
      > Steve McCormack
      > http://www.kitepower.com.au
      > open 7 days, every week.

      =====
      ~~~~~~~_\\|//_
      ~~~~~~~(.O-O.)
      ~~~oOO0~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~
      Thomas DeMille, Boston MA 617-512-8674
      **RENT MY VACATION HOMES**
      Caribbean Cabana: http://roatan.islandrentals.org
      Marthas Vineyard: http://mv.islandrentals.org

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2002
        Phew that's good to hear! Still I want to remind you that there are skills
        you do not have - kite flying skills!
        Only time spent at the end of the lines develops kite flying skill, nothing
        can replace it, no amount of video watching or internet surfing will replace
        it.
        Please spend as much time as possible flying the kite in the water without
        the board, or with a smaller trainer foil to learn about the wind window
        which is invisible and rotates about you as you kiteboard.
        This rotating of the wind window is the hardest thing for novice kite flyers
        to pick up, when you fly on land it does not happen if you are just
        standing, only if you are moving like in a buggy or on a mountainboard.
        It is not worth trying to explain in words either (someone else might give
        it a try), it is more important to actually get outside and fly your kite
        enough so that you can feel where the wind window is. Understanding that it
        moves as you do and rotates lightly as you edge upwind is all you really
        need to know, as you monitor where you are in relation to the edge of the
        wind window automatically as you progress to being an experienced kite
        flyer.

        Only experienced kite flyers get to be beginner kite boarders, who then
        learn to kiteboard quickly, but who also find that their kite flying skills
        need to be constantly improved to get to each of the "levels" in
        kiteboarding.
        The "levels" being,
        Water starting,
        Going upwind and returning to your start point on the beach
        Jumping and landing without falling, includes large/high jumping and landing
        safely
        Spins and grabs in both directions
        Transitions combining spins and grabs in both directions
        and onwards, as no-one will ever be the perfect and all knowing kite
        boarder!

        Respect the winds, no-one controls them, never let your ego or anyone else's
        convince you that you can, listen to your intuition when out kiteboarding,
        it is a sport that puts you in that space very quickly and easily.

        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        Open 7 days
        126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
        Phone +61293157894

        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

        > There are 9 messages in this issue.
        >
        > Topics in this digest:
        >
        > 1. Re: Anyone on the list ride in the boston area?
        > From: "pksebago" <Patkeeley@...>
        > 2. Re: I want to try this in Romania (COM)
        > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
        > 3. Re: riding upwind
        > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
        > 4. Litewave Designs & Kitemare.com rock!
        > From: "kiteboardertobe" <jpkeyzer@...>
        > 5. Re: Litewave Designs & Kitemare.com rock!
        > From: "fernmanus" <fernmanus@...>
        > 6. Re: riding upwind
        > From: "fernmanus" <fernmanus@...>
        > 7. Cabrina BT 12.2 and 15.5 for sale on eBay now
        > From: "gankpimp" <gankpimp@...>
        > 8. Stock Analyzer Alert: OTCBB: :SMTV NOZCIKB
        > From: "Market Monitor Extreme" <marketmaker6@...>
        > 9. Board dynamics
        > From: Hung Vu <hungvu@...>

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:45:38 -0000
        > From: "pksebago" <Patkeeley@...>
        > Subject: Re: Anyone on the list ride in the boston area?
        >
        > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "tdemille" <tdemille@y...> wrote:
        > > Would be interested in:
        > >
        > > Hooking up with you some time for riding perhaps:
        > >
        > > Places to go, especially North of Boston, but also including
        > > cape/Martha's vineyard.
        > >

        > Try a post on the egroup for NEKS. Northeast Kitesurfers. You may
        > have some luck there. There are a few of the guys who kite at Pine
        > Point in Southern Maine with the majority of the group in the Cape
        > Cod/ Boston/ Connecticut area.
        >
        > Good Luck
        > Pat
        > > -=tgd=-

        > Message: 2
        > Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:32:19 +1000
        > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
        > Subject: Re: I want to try this in Romania (COM)
        >
        > There is a growing list of shop demo and used gear on the Kitepower
        website, changes are made
        > daily.
        > http://www.kitepower.com.au/news/images/full_news.asp?mode=shownews&id=116
        > This page contains links to the lists at each shop, there are 43 items in
        total.
        > We use UPS for international shipping.
        > Cya and
        > Goodwinds
        > Steve McCormack
        > http://www.kitepower.com.au
        > open 7 days, every week.

      • pauric o'callaghan
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
          It appears to me that a lot of questions could be answered if we could visualise what was being explained. Videos go a long way to doing this but its sometimes hard
          to 'see the woods for the trees'. There's so much going on in a video that its hard to see the fundamentals

          I was wondering if there is anyone on this group with some graphic animation expertise who could run up a kiteboard version of what this guy has done with buggying?

          http://www.geocities.com/grimble2_uk/downTurn.html

          See the other techniques as well

          regards

        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
            Essentially it would look the same, but there is a fundamental flaw in that animation. The buggys tracks should have crossed its own shortly after completing the turn.
            I guess it is realisitic of what begginers actually do, but it is not a good indication of what actually needs to happen in real life.
            It is the same with kite boarding.
            When the buggier started to turn towards the kite line tension would have decreased, this can cause a kite to luff or stall out. When turning downwind (gibing) on a buggy or kiteboard you need to turn the kite first and then follow through with yourself, and the only thing you really need to keep focus on is line tension!
            You must do whatever you can to maintain an even or smooth rate of line tension, the only way to keep the lines tight is to steer away from the kite.
            Focus on that and you will pick up gibing on a kiteboard very quickly (or a buggy).
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            open 7 days, every week.
> [...]

            >> > cape/Martha's vineyard.
            >> >

            >> Try a post on the egroup for NEKS. Northeast Kitesurfers. You may
            >> have some luck there. There are a few of the guys who kite at Pine
            >> Point in Southern Maine with the majority of the group in the Cape
            >> Cod/ Boston/ Connecticut area.
            >>
            >> Good Luck
            >> Pat
            >> > -=tgd=-

            >> Message: 2
            >> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:32:19 +1000
            >> From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
            >> Subject: Re: I want to try this in Romania (COM)
            >>
            >> There is a growing list of shop demo and used gear on the Kitepower website, changes are made
            >> daily.
            >> http://www.kitepower.com.au/news/images/full_news.asp?mode=shownews&id=116
            >> This page contains links to the lists at each shop, there are 43 items in total.

          • hink_trent
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2002
              --- In ksurfschool@y..., "pauric o'callaghan" <paurico@p...> wrote:
              > It appears to me that a lot of questions could be answered if we
              could visualise what was being explained. Videos go a long way to
              doing this but its sometimes hard
              > to 'see the woods for the trees'. There's so much going on in a
              video that its hard to see the fundamentals

              I just wanted to say that i think that the videos I have seen are
              pretty crappy when it comes to teaching kiting. They try to hype
              everything by stringing a bunch of fast action clips, and it is too
              much to take in at once. Frequently they just don't show things; the
              Boost video only has one clear shot showing what is going on with
              both the kite and ther rider when the rider jumps - the clip is in
              full speed, about 5 seconds long, and it is not even shown with the
              jumping lesson!
            • Denisesewa@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2002
                In a message dated 8/3/2002 8:20:29 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
                hink_trent@... writes:

                > I just wanted to say that i think that the videos I have seen are
                > pretty crappy when it comes to teaching kiting. They try to hype
                > everything by stringing a bunch of fast action clips, and it is too
                > much to take in at once. Frequently they just don't show things; the
                > Boost video only has one clear shot showing what is going on with
                > both the kite and ther rider when the rider jumps - the clip is in
                > full speed, about 5 seconds long, and it is not even shown with the
                > jumping lesson!

                I have been thinking about ordering the boost videos, anyone have a copy
                they are finished with?? , e-mail me
                Denise
                http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html