Board dynamics

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2002
      Deliberately tried a number of boards of different sizes, shapes and
      types, here are some of the findings I found (some of them are well
      known but I put them here anyway):

      1- Small boards need more power, large boards need less power. So for
      the same wind speed, use larger kite for a smaller board and smaller
      kite for a larger board.
      2- One can go for a board as small as one like up to a point where one's
      leg get tired too soon - cannot handle the kite power for a very long
      period (for me its a 120 cm long and around 36-38 cm wide)
      3- One can go for a board as large as one like until it becomes too
      clumsy (for me its the FOne 230, 230 cm long, 50 cm wide)
      4- Thinner rail is more efficient than thicker rail for edging.
      Sharpness has some impact but not as much as thickness.
      5- Longer rail is more efficient for edging
      6- So short boards should have thinner rail and long boards can have
      thicker rail.
      7- Fins are not needed on bi-directional boards (regardless of board
      size, shape and rail type)
      8- Directionals are better for variable wind and light wind conditions
      9- Shorter boards are excellent for jumping
      10- Longer/larger boards are better for light wind