RE: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 666

  • Andre Myburgh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2002
      > From: "Canman" <canman@...>
      > Subject: Woody Board + NPW5
      >
      > Hi there.
      >
      > I'm looking for a cheapest possible kitesurfing rig, that can
      > be put together (preferably DIY @ home).
      >
      > I'd like to use home made NASA wings. I have quite a few of
      > them (2 ; 3 ; 4,6 ; 7 ; 10 and 12 square meter), cause I use
      > them for bugging, so I should be able to cover most wind
      > conditions. I am aware of the limitations of NPW5 (narrow
      > window, poor upwind performance). They do have one good thing
      > about them - making all 6 of them cost me less than any used
      > LEI in decent condition.
      >
      > I want to make a woody board as on
      > http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/board.htm .
      >
      > The question
      > is: Does it make sense ?
      > Will I be able to learn kitesurfing on this equipment ?

      You might have some trouble sliding out on the (finless) woody, until you
      learn to edge. But the NPW is very easy to learn on. My very first attempt
      at ksurfing was on a 6' converted surfboard and 7.5 NPW. Got up and riding
      (downwind) first time. Two of my byddies did the same, and they only had
      about 4 hrs kite flying experience between them. I struggled for 2 months to
      do the same with a 11.5 inflatable and a fancy twintip.

      Cheers

      André