advice on footstrap position for directional.

  • glennfbartlett
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21 1:13 AM
      Hi all,
      I'm hoping for a little advice. I have spent a couple of months on
      a large 7' directional and feel I have come to grips with starting,
      going upwind and general kite handling for beginners (not
      gybing successfully yet), so I thought it was time I graduated to a
      smaller board. I have an Airush 172 directional and have the
      footstraps setup as far back as possible. I found it a big change
      from the large heavy 7' Naish directional and had alot of trouble
      staying on the water and no luck going upwind. The tips in the
      files section are great and I think I know what I was doing wrong
      now in terms of where to fly the kite and getting it to the front of
      the window and not too high etc, but I found that when I did get in
      the groove even the smallest chop threw me off the board. I
      wondered if I set the footstraps more forward if this would help
      me balance. Is it just a question of practice and learning to get
      the board to dance over the chop, or absorbing it with my knees,
      or perhaps a little more bodyweight and downwards pressure on
      the board (although this tended to make the tail spin out)?
      It seems to me a twintip has much more centralised bodyweight
      than a directional. Does this mean it handles chop better?
      TIA
      Glenn