Foil Third Line

  • Alger, David
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8 8:47 AM
      OK, I got my 9m F-one up for a few seconds before I got disoriented by being
      lifted and then water dragged and let it fall to the horizon. But when I
      dropped the bar, the safety leash did not depower it much, because it was
      leashed to the bar by about two feet of strap. I guess so that it would not
      twist the lines when the kite looped. My solution is to run the third line
      through a ring (clipped onto one flying line at the bar) and remove the
      strap ramsheaded to the bar. Will this depower the kite?

      Also, when I crash this monster, can it be relaunched without swimming 40
      meters to flip it?

      Thanks to the fellow from Florida who helped me at Sangekontaket on the
      Vineyard!

      - David
    • jamisdiablo69
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8 1:26 PM
        The depower line, 3rd line, should not be attached to anything other
        than your wrist. If it is attached to your bar it will not work and
        if it is in anyway attached to either of the other lines it may not
        work either and may actually cause the kite to power up suddenly,
        although not likely. The third line pulls in the trailing edge thus
        depowering the kite by taking all tension off the bridles and putting
        all pressure on the wrong side of the kite so it dies in the wind...
        just make sure the 3rd line is longer (about 3-5ft. for me I've
        found) than the other lines, make sure it is not tangled at all with
        any other lines and it'll work fine, assuming you have you're 9.0 out
        in the right conditions! Don't worry too much about twists yet, if
        they happen just bring the kite down (assisted) and get'em out. The
        only twists should be resulting from crashes and then you'll prob.
        need help anyway. Twists resluting from looping the entire kite in
        the air (near impossible with this monster) or from doing actually
        spins on a board, can usually easily be undone by spining yourself
        when on the ground or in the water one way or the other. Lines spun
        once or twice are still responsive but much more than that and the
        kite doesn't behave well. Sounds like you need to wait for spins of
        anykind for awhile still anyway... :)

        And if this kite gets wet, forget it! Take it out and let it dry,
        then try again. Mine's older so it leaks in water a bit, but I've
        got to imagine even the newer ones don't float for long! LOL!

        I really, strongly suggest trying a different kite if you can... the
        9.0 is super slow, has killer steering forces and is very UNforgiving
        in errors and impossible to waterrelaunch... but I will say that it
        stays up in the air when few other things will... but by then no kite
        is very fun, is it?!

        Stay safe... sounds like you need someone to teach you "hands-on" how
        to fly that kind of kite my friend...

        scott