Re: Woody Board

  • ex_cpe
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Kitepower" <sydney@k...> wrote:
      > Have a look at as many of the latest tray/wake style boards, as
      you can. You will notice one common theme, thin rails with the
      edge at the bottom surface of the board. I'm not sure why Hung
      makes a point of being abe to land a jump sideways, but you can
      do that if you want to with this rail shape anyway, but you stand a
      greater chance of losing control and having the board slide out
      from under you if you do not get an edge/end in first.
      > Kiteboarding is about jumping for most people, a sharp thin
      rail helps the board bite and load up, essential for getting
      maximum air.
      > The rails are rounder on surfboards to make them transition
      from one turn to another in a more flowing style suited to wave
      riding, when the board is powered by the wave only.
      > Kiteboarding is very much like wakeboarding behind a boat,
      except you need an edge, to exert and maintain or vary, as
      conditions and the tricks/jumping you are doing dictate, tension
      on the kites lines (not against the pull of the boat, which is
      constant), and to enable you to maintain that edge/line tension in
      well powered up conditions, which will give you max boost into
      the air (and upwind ability).
      > You use the sharp cutting edges/rails and their ability to load
      the lines of your kite, in a synchronised way to get air and then
      you control your body into the air, maintaining the your orientation
      to a safe landing, all while using the contollability of the kite to
      land soft and smooth, immediately upon landing you use those
      sharp rails/edges to exert tension back on your kite lines, so you
      are back in control.
      > Kiteboarding is a synergy between the riders mind and
      emotions/spirit, and the kite, its lines, and the edge-ability of the
      board.
      > Above all have fun!
      > Cya and
      > Goodwinds
      > Steve McCormack

      Well stated! You compacted more in those few paragraphs than
      three how-to vids I've seen. ....perhaps it's time to buy some
      16MM, eh?

      Jim
    • kite_hoser
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
        Thanks so much for all the opinions. I am starting a new
        larger/thinner board today. It should work much better. Will keep
        you all posted as to the results (or keep bugging you all with more
        questions) :-). Thanks again and Good Winds from Canada.
      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
          Thanks Jim

          When I re-read that there are few words that I would add here and there, but real synergy is what kiteboarding is, I think that is why it just grabs people and it changes their lives forever. Experiencing synergy between yourself and nature or with other people is one of life's finest things IMO, and money cannot buy it!! :-))

          Due to an old war wound (motorcycle crash) I am increasingly unable to kiteboard, but my aim is to get a decent video camera and make instructional/promo, top rider vids, and stuff to make people laugh, look out for a character I've invented called "Keiff wiff da teef" aka "the God of ugly people".
          Sorry in advance!! :-)
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          open 7 days, every week.