Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Woody Board

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 6 3:43 PM
      Have a look at as many of the latest tray/wake style boards, as you can. You will notice one common theme, thin rails with the edge at the bottom surface of the board. I'm not sure why Hung makes a point of being abe to land a jump sideways, but you can do that if you want to with this rail shape anyway, but you stand a greater chance of losing control and having the board slide out from under you if you do not get an edge/end in first.
      Kiteboarding is about jumping for most people, a sharp thin rail helps the board bite and load up, essential for getting maximum air.
      The rails are rounder on surfboards to make them transition from one turn to another in a more flowing style suited to wave riding, when the board is powered by the wave only.
      Kiteboarding is very much like wakeboarding behind a boat, except you need an edge, to exert and maintain or vary, as conditions and the tricks/jumping you are doing dictate, tension on the kites lines (not against the pull of the boat, which is constant), and to enable you to maintain that edge/line tension in well powered up conditions, which will give you max boost into the air (and upwind ability).
      You use the sharp cutting edges/rails and their ability to load the lines of your kite, in a synchronised way to get air and then you control your body into the air, maintaining the your orientation to a safe landing, all while using the contollability of the kite to land soft and smooth, immediately upon landing you use those sharp rails/edges to exert tension back on your kite lines, so you are back in control.
      Kiteboarding is a synergy between the riders mind and emotions/spirit, and the kite, its lines, and the edge-ability of the board.
      Above all have fun!
      http://www.kitepower.com.au
      open 7 days, every week.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 7 4:19 AM
        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Kitepower" <sydney@k...> wrote:
        > Have a look at as many of the latest tray/wake style boards, as
        you can. You will notice one common theme, thin rails with the
        edge at the bottom surface of the board. I'm not sure why Hung
        makes a point of being abe to land a jump sideways, but you can
        do that if you want to with this rail shape anyway, but you stand a
        greater chance of losing control and having the board slide out
        from under you if you do not get an edge/end in first.
        > Kiteboarding is about jumping for most people, a sharp thin
        rail helps the board bite and load up, essential for getting
        maximum air.
        > The rails are rounder on surfboards to make them transition
        from one turn to another in a more flowing style suited to wave
        riding, when the board is powered by the wave only.
        > Kiteboarding is very much like wakeboarding behind a boat,
        except you need an edge, to exert and maintain or vary, as
        conditions and the tricks/jumping you are doing dictate, tension
        on the kites lines (not against the pull of the boat, which is
        constant), and to enable you to maintain that edge/line tension in
        well powered up conditions, which will give you max boost into
        the air (and upwind ability).
        > You use the sharp cutting edges/rails and their ability to load
        the lines of your kite, in a synchronised way to get air and then
        you control your body into the air, maintaining the your orientation
        to a safe landing, all while using the contollability of the kite to
        land soft and smooth, immediately upon landing you use those
        sharp rails/edges to exert tension back on your kite lines, so you
        are back in control.
        > Kiteboarding is a synergy between the riders mind and
        emotions/spirit, and the kite, its lines, and the edge-ability of the
        board.
        > Above all have fun!
        > Cya and
        > Goodwinds
        > Steve McCormack

        Well stated! You compacted more in those few paragraphs than
        three how-to vids I've seen. ....perhaps it's time to buy some
        16MM, eh?

        Jim
      • kite_hoser
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 7 7:10 AM
          Thanks so much for all the opinions. I am starting a new
          larger/thinner board today. It should work much better. Will keep
          you all posted as to the results (or keep bugging you all with more
          questions) :-). Thanks again and Good Winds from Canada.
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 7 4:25 PM
            Thanks Jim

            When I re-read that there are few words that I would add here and there, but real synergy is what kiteboarding is, I think that is why it just grabs people and it changes their lives forever. Experiencing synergy between yourself and nature or with other people is one of life's finest things IMO, and money cannot buy it!! :-))

            Due to an old war wound (motorcycle crash) I am increasingly unable to kiteboard, but my aim is to get a decent video camera and make instructional/promo, top rider vids, and stuff to make people laugh, look out for a character I've invented called "Keiff wiff da teef" aka "the God of ugly people".
            Sorry in advance!! :-)
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            open 7 days, every week.