Re: Woody Board

  • hink_trent
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 6, 2002
      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "kite_hoser" <sir_goth@h...> wrote:
      > Hi again,
      > just a tad confused about this rail. I saw a brunoti the other day
      > up close and the rail was on the bottom (top down edge).

      So since it's a woody should the rail
      > still be in the center or if it has ample rocker should it be more
      > like a manufactured board with rail on the bottom? Don't know if
      > this makes any sense, any advice would be muchly appreciated.
      Thanks
      > Good winds from Canada :-)

      All of the manufactured wake-style boards I have seen have the edge
      on the bottom of the board and a curve into the top surface. on
      directionals and some twintips they put more of a curve on the bottom
      edge to get a looser ride because the fins are doing more of the work
      keeping the board on track (just my opinion).

      I think you should build another, larger version of your current
      board. I made my first board 5'5" x 18" wide x 3/4" thick (glass,ply
      and foam).

      I find that this large wide board takes much less power to ride than
      smaller boards because it planes with less power. for this reason I
      think it is also also is much more forgiving as long as you are not
      overpowered. when I find myself getting overpowered on my large
      board, I can just go in and grab a smaller board without changing
      kites.
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 6, 2002
        Have a look at as many of the latest tray/wake style boards, as you can. You will notice one common theme, thin rails with the edge at the bottom surface of the board. I'm not sure why Hung makes a point of being abe to land a jump sideways, but you can do that if you want to with this rail shape anyway, but you stand a greater chance of losing control and having the board slide out from under you if you do not get an edge/end in first.
        Kiteboarding is about jumping for most people, a sharp thin rail helps the board bite and load up, essential for getting maximum air.
        The rails are rounder on surfboards to make them transition from one turn to another in a more flowing style suited to wave riding, when the board is powered by the wave only.
        Kiteboarding is very much like wakeboarding behind a boat, except you need an edge, to exert and maintain or vary, as conditions and the tricks/jumping you are doing dictate, tension on the kites lines (not against the pull of the boat, which is constant), and to enable you to maintain that edge/line tension in well powered up conditions, which will give you max boost into the air (and upwind ability).
        You use the sharp cutting edges/rails and their ability to load the lines of your kite, in a synchronised way to get air and then you control your body into the air, maintaining the your orientation to a safe landing, all while using the contollability of the kite to land soft and smooth, immediately upon landing you use those sharp rails/edges to exert tension back on your kite lines, so you are back in control.
        Kiteboarding is a synergy between the riders mind and emotions/spirit, and the kite, its lines, and the edge-ability of the board.
        Above all have fun!
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        open 7 days, every week.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Kitepower" <sydney@k...> wrote:
          > Have a look at as many of the latest tray/wake style boards, as
          you can. You will notice one common theme, thin rails with the
          edge at the bottom surface of the board. I'm not sure why Hung
          makes a point of being abe to land a jump sideways, but you can
          do that if you want to with this rail shape anyway, but you stand a
          greater chance of losing control and having the board slide out
          from under you if you do not get an edge/end in first.
          > Kiteboarding is about jumping for most people, a sharp thin
          rail helps the board bite and load up, essential for getting
          maximum air.
          > The rails are rounder on surfboards to make them transition
          from one turn to another in a more flowing style suited to wave
          riding, when the board is powered by the wave only.
          > Kiteboarding is very much like wakeboarding behind a boat,
          except you need an edge, to exert and maintain or vary, as
          conditions and the tricks/jumping you are doing dictate, tension
          on the kites lines (not against the pull of the boat, which is
          constant), and to enable you to maintain that edge/line tension in
          well powered up conditions, which will give you max boost into
          the air (and upwind ability).
          > You use the sharp cutting edges/rails and their ability to load
          the lines of your kite, in a synchronised way to get air and then
          you control your body into the air, maintaining the your orientation
          to a safe landing, all while using the contollability of the kite to
          land soft and smooth, immediately upon landing you use those
          sharp rails/edges to exert tension back on your kite lines, so you
          are back in control.
          > Kiteboarding is a synergy between the riders mind and
          emotions/spirit, and the kite, its lines, and the edge-ability of the
          board.
          > Above all have fun!
          > Cya and
          > Goodwinds
          > Steve McCormack

          Well stated! You compacted more in those few paragraphs than
          three how-to vids I've seen. ....perhaps it's time to buy some
          16MM, eh?

          Jim
        • kite_hoser
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
            Thanks so much for all the opinions. I am starting a new
            larger/thinner board today. It should work much better. Will keep
            you all posted as to the results (or keep bugging you all with more
            questions) :-). Thanks again and Good Winds from Canada.
          • Kitepower
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
              Thanks Jim

              When I re-read that there are few words that I would add here and there, but real synergy is what kiteboarding is, I think that is why it just grabs people and it changes their lives forever. Experiencing synergy between yourself and nature or with other people is one of life's finest things IMO, and money cannot buy it!! :-))

              Due to an old war wound (motorcycle crash) I am increasingly unable to kiteboard, but my aim is to get a decent video camera and make instructional/promo, top rider vids, and stuff to make people laugh, look out for a character I've invented called "Keiff wiff da teef" aka "the God of ugly people".
              Sorry in advance!! :-)
              http://www.kitepower.com.au
              open 7 days, every week.