Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Woody Board

  • Denisesewa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
      Just a suggestion
      An inexpencive way to experiment with board design might be to use Plywood,
      for example ,to create rocker simply cut two pieces half the thickness you
      want to the out line you want , support both ends of the bottom piece with
      wood equal in thickness to the amount of rocker you want , apply glue to top
      surface and lay the second piece of ply on top, weight the center and put
      shims under the board to create the progression of the rocker, then clamp the
      whole thing as much as possible distributing the clamping pressure with
      scraps of wood above and below, not only will this produce the desired rocker
      but will also make plyywood extreemly rigid, the best inexpecive glue to use
      is "ProBond" made by Elmers ( believe it or not) it is imperviouse to water
      extreemly strong and expands as it dries to fill in voids and its availible
      at home depot and hardware stores.
      I think once a good design is acheived it would be easy to make a light
      wieght semi hollow version by using 4mm ply skins with a frame work between
      using cedar or better yet spruce, all of these will take a shape by bending
      easily and once bonded together become rigid.( I would probably use epoxy for
      this one but the probond is just about as good)
      Having built several sailboats , three kayaks and a cedar strip-plank canoe
      I have found these methods to work well and can see no reason they wouldnt
      work just as well for kitesurfing boards.
      Anyway, food for thought.
      By the way,
      I finally decided on Concept air kites and purchased two "new waves" sizes, 6
      and 9 meters, should be arriving next week, I cant wait to get wet!! :)
      Denise

      for a bit more about me go to >>>>>>
      http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

    • kite_hoser
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 6, 2002
        Hi again,
        just a tad confused about this rail. I saw a brunoti the other day
        up close and the rail was on the bottom (top down edge). Is the
        reason for this because the board has rocker and/or the board is so
        much thinner? Also, one of the reason's the woody board was made so
        thick, is that there was ample room to carve(sand) rocker at both
        ends. So our board (even though it's hard to tell with the pictures
        i posted) does have rocker. So since it's a woody should the rail
        still be in the center or if it has ample rocker should it be more
        like a manufactured board with rail on the bottom? Don't know if
        this makes any sense, any advice would be muchly appreciated. Thanks
        Good winds from Canada :-)

        > Without board rocker, a top-down edge (rail at the bottom) is
        harder to
        > plane and getting out of the "submarine state".
        >
        > Neutral edge (rail at the middle) is probably a better start for
        > beginner on woody board.
        >
        > Once you get efficient at edging and going upwind, go bottom-up edge
        > (rail at the top of the board). It's very loose, fast and lively;
        you
        > can land your jump side-way like magic (no other kiteboard I know -
        > including snowboard - can land jump side way like this).
        >
        > Hung.
      • hink_trent
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 6, 2002
          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "kite_hoser" <sir_goth@h...> wrote:
          > Hi again,
          > just a tad confused about this rail. I saw a brunoti the other day
          > up close and the rail was on the bottom (top down edge).

          So since it's a woody should the rail
          > still be in the center or if it has ample rocker should it be more
          > like a manufactured board with rail on the bottom? Don't know if
          > this makes any sense, any advice would be muchly appreciated.
          Thanks
          > Good winds from Canada :-)

          All of the manufactured wake-style boards I have seen have the edge
          on the bottom of the board and a curve into the top surface. on
          directionals and some twintips they put more of a curve on the bottom
          edge to get a looser ride because the fins are doing more of the work
          keeping the board on track (just my opinion).

          I think you should build another, larger version of your current
          board. I made my first board 5'5" x 18" wide x 3/4" thick (glass,ply
          and foam).

          I find that this large wide board takes much less power to ride than
          smaller boards because it planes with less power. for this reason I
          think it is also also is much more forgiving as long as you are not
          overpowered. when I find myself getting overpowered on my large
          board, I can just go in and grab a smaller board without changing
          kites.
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 6, 2002
            Have a look at as many of the latest tray/wake style boards, as you can. You will notice one common theme, thin rails with the edge at the bottom surface of the board. I'm not sure why Hung makes a point of being abe to land a jump sideways, but you can do that if you want to with this rail shape anyway, but you stand a greater chance of losing control and having the board slide out from under you if you do not get an edge/end in first.
            Kiteboarding is about jumping for most people, a sharp thin rail helps the board bite and load up, essential for getting maximum air.
            The rails are rounder on surfboards to make them transition from one turn to another in a more flowing style suited to wave riding, when the board is powered by the wave only.
            Kiteboarding is very much like wakeboarding behind a boat, except you need an edge, to exert and maintain or vary, as conditions and the tricks/jumping you are doing dictate, tension on the kites lines (not against the pull of the boat, which is constant), and to enable you to maintain that edge/line tension in well powered up conditions, which will give you max boost into the air (and upwind ability).
            You use the sharp cutting edges/rails and their ability to load the lines of your kite, in a synchronised way to get air and then you control your body into the air, maintaining the your orientation to a safe landing, all while using the contollability of the kite to land soft and smooth, immediately upon landing you use those sharp rails/edges to exert tension back on your kite lines, so you are back in control.
            Kiteboarding is a synergy between the riders mind and emotions/spirit, and the kite, its lines, and the edge-ability of the board.
            Above all have fun!
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            open 7 days, every week.

            just a tad confused about this rail. I saw a brunoti the other day
            up close and the rail was on the bottom (top down edge). Is the
            reason for this because the board has rocker and/or the board is so
            much thinner? Also, one of the reason's the woody board was made so
            thick, is that there was ample room to carve(sand) rocker at both
            ends. So our board (even though it's hard to tell with the pictures
            i posted) does have rocker. So since it's a woody should the rail
            still be in the center or if it has ample rocker should it be more
            like a manufactured board with rail on the bottom? Don't know if
            this makes any sense, any advice would be muchly appreciated. Thanks
            Good winds from Canada :-)

            > Without board rocker, a top-down edge (rail at the bottom) is
            harder to
            > plane and getting out of the "submarine state".
            >
            > Neutral edge (rail at the middle) is probably a better start for
            > beginner on woody board.
            >
            > Once you get efficient at edging and going upwind, go bottom-up edge
            > (rail at the top of the board). It's very loose, fast and lively;
            you
            > can land your jump side-way like magic (no other kiteboard I know -
            > including snowboard - can land jump side way like this).

          • ex_cpe
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
              --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Kitepower" <sydney@k...> wrote:
              > Have a look at as many of the latest tray/wake style boards, as
              you can. You will notice one common theme, thin rails with the
              edge at the bottom surface of the board. I'm not sure why Hung
              makes a point of being abe to land a jump sideways, but you can
              do that if you want to with this rail shape anyway, but you stand a
              greater chance of losing control and having the board slide out
              from under you if you do not get an edge/end in first.
              > Kiteboarding is about jumping for most people, a sharp thin
              rail helps the board bite and load up, essential for getting
              maximum air.
              > The rails are rounder on surfboards to make them transition
              from one turn to another in a more flowing style suited to wave
              riding, when the board is powered by the wave only.
              > Kiteboarding is very much like wakeboarding behind a boat,
              except you need an edge, to exert and maintain or vary, as
              conditions and the tricks/jumping you are doing dictate, tension
              on the kites lines (not against the pull of the boat, which is
              constant), and to enable you to maintain that edge/line tension in
              well powered up conditions, which will give you max boost into
              the air (and upwind ability).
              > You use the sharp cutting edges/rails and their ability to load
              the lines of your kite, in a synchronised way to get air and then
              you control your body into the air, maintaining the your orientation
              to a safe landing, all while using the contollability of the kite to
              land soft and smooth, immediately upon landing you use those
              sharp rails/edges to exert tension back on your kite lines, so you
              are back in control.
              > Kiteboarding is a synergy between the riders mind and
              emotions/spirit, and the kite, its lines, and the edge-ability of the
              board.
              > Above all have fun!
              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack

              Well stated! You compacted more in those few paragraphs than
              three how-to vids I've seen. ....perhaps it's time to buy some
              16MM, eh?

              Jim
            • kite_hoser
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
                Thanks so much for all the opinions. I am starting a new
                larger/thinner board today. It should work much better. Will keep
                you all posted as to the results (or keep bugging you all with more
                questions) :-). Thanks again and Good Winds from Canada.
              • Kitepower
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
                  Thanks Jim

                  When I re-read that there are few words that I would add here and there, but real synergy is what kiteboarding is, I think that is why it just grabs people and it changes their lives forever. Experiencing synergy between yourself and nature or with other people is one of life's finest things IMO, and money cannot buy it!! :-))

                  Due to an old war wound (motorcycle crash) I am increasingly unable to kiteboard, but my aim is to get a decent video camera and make instructional/promo, top rider vids, and stuff to make people laugh, look out for a character I've invented called "Keiff wiff da teef" aka "the God of ugly people".
                  Sorry in advance!! :-)
                  http://www.kitepower.com.au
                  open 7 days, every week.