Woody Board

  • kite_hoser
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
      Hi,
      A friend of mine made a Cedar bi-directional board as his first
      board. We had it out last weekend in 20km/hr winds at Lake Erie.
      Was the first time we tried to kitesurf although we've been kite
      buggying for a year now. We got up on the board no problem first
      time, planed ok but upwind was very hard. Did reaches of about 200
      yards. Kite was an 8.5 cquad. The board lost it's planing when
      trying to turn up wind and it would start to bog through the water
      instead of planing. The edge is carved down from the top to a rail
      on the bottom. Should the rail be in the center, or the top of the
      board, or is the bottom rail the way to go? Also, can someone give
      me some dimensions (length and width) of a board that would cut
      upwind and plane a bit easier? This board is only 14.5" wide, about
      5' long and 1.7" thick Is it too small? Or is it lack of
      experience? Thanks in advance.
      Good Winds from Canada
      P.S. Posted a few pics in the photo section of the board.
    • Pauric

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Pauric" <paurico@p...> wrote:
          > http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/board.htm

          Yes i've been to that site numerous times, but it doesn't answer my
          questions specifically and the "less is more" board is a good place
          to start but i was hoping for some more feedback other than what i've
          read and re-read dozens of times. Thanks anyways, anyone else?
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
            There are a couple of things that are not helping you, one is the C-Quad, while it is a pretty good kite for buggying they are lousy for kiteboarding, unless you are prepared to use them well powered up so that you do not have to move it around to get power, they work best when you can just park it and edge against it. Make sure it has flotation on it because if you drop it, it will sink very fast!
            This will help you more though, make you board wider!
            The light wind Underground trays I use are Fridge Door 40cm wide x 1.38M long and the Smorgasboard is 1.48M long 44cm wide, make your board somewhre between 38cm and 42cm and you should notice a big difference.
            Rails should not be like a surfboard at all, they need to knife sharp like a wakeboard.snowboard, you could even just use a router with a bevel cutter to make the rail and just sand it enough so that the rail is not too thin and fragile.
            Have fun!
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            open 7 days, every week.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
              Cedar sounds like a very good wood for kiteboard...

              1.7" thickness is too thick I think. Most kiteboards are thinner than
              3/4".

              Without board rocker, a top-down edge (rail at the bottom) is harder to
              plan and getting out of the "submarine state".

              Neutral edge (rail at the middle) is probably a better start for
              beginner on woody board.

              Once you get efficient at edging and going upwind, go bottom-up edge
              (rail at the top of the board). It's very loose, fast and lively; you
              can land your jump side-way like magic (no other kiteboard I know -
              including snowboard - can land jump side way like this).

              P.S., C-Quad may not be the best kite for kitesurfing due to its
              variable power characteristics (however it's a very fast and probably
              one of the best kiteskiing kites though :-)

              P.P.S., Expect at least a few sessions before you can go upwind in
              kitesurfing.

              Hung.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
                Thanks so much for the replies guys, I agree wholeheartedly that the
                board is too small. We thought the rails the way we made them
                would've worked better but obviously not. You're right Hung about
                the "getting out of submarine stage". Hard to get it up on a plane
                again once it does this and also you both have the same views on the
                size of board. As for using cquads, well i know everyone will
                disagree but we spend alot of time buggying and skiing (land
                traction) and the cquads are amazing kites. We can all go right into
                the wind for large distances with these kites and I have a few foils
                that I could not get within' breathing distance of the upwind of the
                cquads. The foils luff and curl up, pop back open in the power zone
                when trying to go that far upwind. In gusts, these problems are even
                more exagerrated with foils. So, having a quiver of land kites and
                water specific kites is not at all cost feasable for us. The cquads
                like the water well enough. We launch from sandbar in the water
                where you can stand and then it's a matter of not crashing the kite
                out in deeper water. Exactly the same as using a land foil in the
                water which a lot of people do in our area and get along ok with
                there kites. The advantage we have on them though, is when they do
                crash in water their fun is over until they dry out there kites on
                shore again, which a cquad doesn't have to do. As for the power
                thing, it was unbelieveable. I think for our very first time (none
                of us 3 have any windsurfing or wakeboarding experience at all) we
                did fantastic with that tiny board. If we make another board it will
                be that much better, as well as some more practice and the cquads
                will (have) to work for us. We had pictures taken of us surfing last
                weekend so when i get copies i'll post them up to show how elite
                cquads can be even for new surfers. :-) But please don't think that
                i'm saying anyone can get on a cquad and surf. It's taken us many
                months of land traction activities to really learn our kites. If
                you're going to start from scratch with surfing, obviously the cquad
                would slow your learning curve down greatly because of the time it
                takes to learn these kites to get the proper depower, powering up and
                anti luffing technique happenning.
                Good winds from Canada and thanks for the help with the board input,
                muchly appreciated!!!!!
                Buggy Tyrant
                P.S. Cquads Rule!!!!!!!!!! :-)
              • Kitepower
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
                  Good stuff! C-Quads can be used on the water as I said, Kane Hartill who
                  used to be sponsored by Peter Lynn used them in the early days of
                  kiteboarding 2 years ago, he could do amazing stuff on them, and he very
                  rarely put them into the water.
                  I do not know what type of foils your friends have but there are plenty that
                  can match a c-quad now, and in the right hands, they can be re-launched off
                  the water, if you are quick, but even when wet a modern foil will fly and
                  will dry out quite quickly.
                  Each to their own, but no kite absolutely rules!! :-))
                  http://www.kitepower.com.au
                  mailto:sydney@...
                  Open 7 days
                  126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
                  Phone +61293157894

                • Denisesewa@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
                    Just a suggestion
                    An inexpencive way to experiment with board design might be to use Plywood,
                    for example ,to create rocker simply cut two pieces half the thickness you
                    want to the out line you want , support both ends of the bottom piece with
                    wood equal in thickness to the amount of rocker you want , apply glue to top
                    surface and lay the second piece of ply on top, weight the center and put
                    shims under the board to create the progression of the rocker, then clamp the
                    whole thing as much as possible distributing the clamping pressure with
                    scraps of wood above and below, not only will this produce the desired rocker
                    but will also make plyywood extreemly rigid, the best inexpecive glue to use
                    is "ProBond" made by Elmers ( believe it or not) it is imperviouse to water
                    extreemly strong and expands as it dries to fill in voids and its availible
                    at home depot and hardware stores.
                    I think once a good design is acheived it would be easy to make a light
                    wieght semi hollow version by using 4mm ply skins with a frame work between
                    using cedar or better yet spruce, all of these will take a shape by bending
                    easily and once bonded together become rigid.( I would probably use epoxy for
                    this one but the probond is just about as good)
                    Having built several sailboats , three kayaks and a cedar strip-plank canoe
                    I have found these methods to work well and can see no reason they wouldnt
                    work just as well for kitesurfing boards.
                    Anyway, food for thought.
                    By the way,
                    I finally decided on Concept air kites and purchased two "new waves" sizes, 6
                    and 9 meters, should be arriving next week, I cant wait to get wet!! :)
                    Denise

                    for a bit more about me go to >>>>>>
                    http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

                  • kite_hoser
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 6, 2002
                      Hi again,
                      just a tad confused about this rail. I saw a brunoti the other day
                      up close and the rail was on the bottom (top down edge). Is the
                      reason for this because the board has rocker and/or the board is so
                      much thinner? Also, one of the reason's the woody board was made so
                      thick, is that there was ample room to carve(sand) rocker at both
                      ends. So our board (even though it's hard to tell with the pictures
                      i posted) does have rocker. So since it's a woody should the rail
                      still be in the center or if it has ample rocker should it be more
                      like a manufactured board with rail on the bottom? Don't know if
                      this makes any sense, any advice would be muchly appreciated. Thanks
                      Good winds from Canada :-)

                      > Without board rocker, a top-down edge (rail at the bottom) is
                      harder to
                      > plane and getting out of the "submarine state".
                      >
                      > Neutral edge (rail at the middle) is probably a better start for
                      > beginner on woody board.
                      >
                      > Once you get efficient at edging and going upwind, go bottom-up edge
                      > (rail at the top of the board). It's very loose, fast and lively;
                      you
                      > can land your jump side-way like magic (no other kiteboard I know -
                      > including snowboard - can land jump side way like this).
                      >
                      > Hung.
                    • hink_trent
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 6, 2002
                        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "kite_hoser" <sir_goth@h...> wrote:
                        > Hi again,
                        > just a tad confused about this rail. I saw a brunoti the other day
                        > up close and the rail was on the bottom (top down edge).

                        So since it's a woody should the rail
                        > still be in the center or if it has ample rocker should it be more
                        > like a manufactured board with rail on the bottom? Don't know if
                        > this makes any sense, any advice would be muchly appreciated.
                        Thanks
                        > Good winds from Canada :-)

                        All of the manufactured wake-style boards I have seen have the edge
                        on the bottom of the board and a curve into the top surface. on
                        directionals and some twintips they put more of a curve on the bottom
                        edge to get a looser ride because the fins are doing more of the work
                        keeping the board on track (just my opinion).

                        I think you should build another, larger version of your current
                        board. I made my first board 5'5" x 18" wide x 3/4" thick (glass,ply
                        and foam).

                        I find that this large wide board takes much less power to ride than
                        smaller boards because it planes with less power. for this reason I
                        think it is also also is much more forgiving as long as you are not
                        overpowered. when I find myself getting overpowered on my large
                        board, I can just go in and grab a smaller board without changing
                        kites.
                      • Kitepower
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 6, 2002
                          Have a look at as many of the latest tray/wake style boards, as you can. You will notice one common theme, thin rails with the edge at the bottom surface of the board. I'm not sure why Hung makes a point of being abe to land a jump sideways, but you can do that if you want to with this rail shape anyway, but you stand a greater chance of losing control and having the board slide out from under you if you do not get an edge/end in first.
                          Kiteboarding is about jumping for most people, a sharp thin rail helps the board bite and load up, essential for getting maximum air.
                          The rails are rounder on surfboards to make them transition from one turn to another in a more flowing style suited to wave riding, when the board is powered by the wave only.
                          Kiteboarding is very much like wakeboarding behind a boat, except you need an edge, to exert and maintain or vary, as conditions and the tricks/jumping you are doing dictate, tension on the kites lines (not against the pull of the boat, which is constant), and to enable you to maintain that edge/line tension in well powered up conditions, which will give you max boost into the air (and upwind ability).
                          You use the sharp cutting edges/rails and their ability to load the lines of your kite, in a synchronised way to get air and then you control your body into the air, maintaining the your orientation to a safe landing, all while using the contollability of the kite to land soft and smooth, immediately upon landing you use those sharp rails/edges to exert tension back on your kite lines, so you are back in control.
                          Kiteboarding is a synergy between the riders mind and emotions/spirit, and the kite, its lines, and the edge-ability of the board.
                          Above all have fun!
                          http://www.kitepower.com.au
                          open 7 days, every week.

                          just a tad confused about this rail. I saw a brunoti the other day
                          up close and the rail was on the bottom (top down edge). Is the
                          reason for this because the board has rocker and/or the board is so
                          much thinner? Also, one of the reason's the woody board was made so
                          thick, is that there was ample room to carve(sand) rocker at both
                          ends. So our board (even though it's hard to tell with the pictures
                          i posted) does have rocker. So since it's a woody should the rail
                          still be in the center or if it has ample rocker should it be more
                          like a manufactured board with rail on the bottom? Don't know if
                          this makes any sense, any advice would be muchly appreciated. Thanks
                          Good winds from Canada :-)

                          > Without board rocker, a top-down edge (rail at the bottom) is
                          harder to
                          > plane and getting out of the "submarine state".
                          >
                          > Neutral edge (rail at the middle) is probably a better start for
                          > beginner on woody board.
                          >
                          > Once you get efficient at edging and going upwind, go bottom-up edge
                          > (rail at the top of the board). It's very loose, fast and lively;
                          you
                          > can land your jump side-way like magic (no other kiteboard I know -
                          > including snowboard - can land jump side way like this).

                        • ex_cpe
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
                            --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Kitepower" <sydney@k...> wrote:
                            > Have a look at as many of the latest tray/wake style boards, as
                            you can. You will notice one common theme, thin rails with the
                            edge at the bottom surface of the board. I'm not sure why Hung
                            makes a point of being abe to land a jump sideways, but you can
                            do that if you want to with this rail shape anyway, but you stand a
                            greater chance of losing control and having the board slide out
                            from under you if you do not get an edge/end in first.
                            > Kiteboarding is about jumping for most people, a sharp thin
                            rail helps the board bite and load up, essential for getting
                            maximum air.
                            > The rails are rounder on surfboards to make them transition
                            from one turn to another in a more flowing style suited to wave
                            riding, when the board is powered by the wave only.
                            > Kiteboarding is very much like wakeboarding behind a boat,
                            except you need an edge, to exert and maintain or vary, as
                            conditions and the tricks/jumping you are doing dictate, tension
                            on the kites lines (not against the pull of the boat, which is
                            constant), and to enable you to maintain that edge/line tension in
                            well powered up conditions, which will give you max boost into
                            the air (and upwind ability).
                            > You use the sharp cutting edges/rails and their ability to load
                            the lines of your kite, in a synchronised way to get air and then
                            you control your body into the air, maintaining the your orientation
                            to a safe landing, all while using the contollability of the kite to
                            land soft and smooth, immediately upon landing you use those
                            sharp rails/edges to exert tension back on your kite lines, so you
                            are back in control.
                            > Kiteboarding is a synergy between the riders mind and
                            emotions/spirit, and the kite, its lines, and the edge-ability of the
                            board.
                            > Above all have fun!
                            > Cya and
                            > Goodwinds
                            > Steve McCormack

                            Well stated! You compacted more in those few paragraphs than
                            three how-to vids I've seen. ....perhaps it's time to buy some
                            16MM, eh?

                            Jim
                          • kite_hoser
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
                              Thanks so much for all the opinions. I am starting a new
                              larger/thinner board today. It should work much better. Will keep
                              you all posted as to the results (or keep bugging you all with more
                              questions) :-). Thanks again and Good Winds from Canada.
                            • Kitepower
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 7, 2002
                                Thanks Jim

                                When I re-read that there are few words that I would add here and there, but real synergy is what kiteboarding is, I think that is why it just grabs people and it changes their lives forever. Experiencing synergy between yourself and nature or with other people is one of life's finest things IMO, and money cannot buy it!! :-))

                                Due to an old war wound (motorcycle crash) I am increasingly unable to kiteboard, but my aim is to get a decent video camera and make instructional/promo, top rider vids, and stuff to make people laugh, look out for a character I've invented called "Keiff wiff da teef" aka "the God of ugly people".
                                Sorry in advance!! :-)
                                http://www.kitepower.com.au
                                open 7 days, every week.