Re: [ksurfschool] Asymmetrical Boards???

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2002
      I'll probaly get slammed for saying this, but do yourself a favour get a symmetrical board, something around 1.5 to 1.6M long for learning.
      This is my opinion of asymetrical boards - they are a marketing gimmick!
      Flame suit on.
      http://www.kitepower.com.au
      open 7 days, every week.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 23, 2002
        Well I'm going to go for the assymetrical slam here Steve :)
        I don't agree with what you say about the best length TT to learn
        on. I think 150-160 is too short for starting. Something bigger
        will be easier. Then again you'd only want something bigger for the
        first few weeks. I agree assy boards are a gimmick, I've got the RRD
        one and even though I love it I only ever use the one side. If I
        want to change sides then I have to get out a screwdiver and change
        the straps because they are not set parallel to the edge. This means
        far too much work so I only ever use the one side.
        Cheers
        Tabitha

        _____
        > www.badcoconut.com

        Service.

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        unsubscribe@e...

        Service.

      • callum_downie
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 23, 2002
          Hi Tabitha (long time no hear..) and steve...

          It's another case of horses for courses... I had only stayed upwind
          on a directional for about 2 sessions before I got my first twin tip,
          which was the 151 DT... And I weigh 100kg It took me 2 sessions to
          get the TT concept down and I was cruising upwind more easily than I
          ever had before...

          I see people still struggling on 170/180 TT's after a few months...
          Find a board that feels comfortable for you even if you can't sail it
          I bought the dt before I had stayed upwind on it, I bought it because
          it felt so comfortable strapped to my feet, even when sitting on the
          sand...

          Just my opinion, please don't slam me, either assymetricaly or
          symetricaly

          Callum

        • Mel
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 23, 2002
            "tabitha12mile" <tabitha12mile@...> wrote:

            > I agree assy boards are a gimmick, I've got the RRD
            > one and even though I love it I only ever use the one side. If I
            > want to change sides then I have to get out a screwdiver and change
            > the straps because they are not set parallel to the edge. This means
            > far too much work so I only ever use the one side.

            While I don't have an opinion on whether or not asymmetry is a gimmick, I
            don't think the RRDs are designed to switch the straps/bindings to put your
            heels on the short side. It's apparent by looking at the strap insert
            placement (toes out with your heels on the long side).