Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Asymmetrical Boards???

  • Remtgnow@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2002
      I've been riding the RRD assym. for about a year.
      It's a great TT to learn on. Get one about 180 cm and it could be your
      light wind stick!
      Mine has a thin rail on the heel side and a thicker rail for turning on the
      toe side.
      Frankly, I still love mine.
      I say, stick w/it the curve is really fast!
      Phil b

    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 22, 2002
        I'll probaly get slammed for saying this, but do yourself a favour get a symmetrical board, something around 1.5 to 1.6M long for learning.
        This is my opinion of asymetrical boards - they are a marketing gimmick!
        Flame suit on.
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        open 7 days, every week.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 23, 2002
          Well I'm going to go for the assymetrical slam here Steve :)
          I don't agree with what you say about the best length TT to learn
          on. I think 150-160 is too short for starting. Something bigger
          will be easier. Then again you'd only want something bigger for the
          first few weeks. I agree assy boards are a gimmick, I've got the RRD
          one and even though I love it I only ever use the one side. If I
          want to change sides then I have to get out a screwdiver and change
          the straps because they are not set parallel to the edge. This means
          far too much work so I only ever use the one side.
          Cheers
          Tabitha

          _____
          > www.badcoconut.com

          Service.

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          unsubscribe@e...

          Service.

        • callum_downie
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 23, 2002
            Hi Tabitha (long time no hear..) and steve...

            It's another case of horses for courses... I had only stayed upwind
            on a directional for about 2 sessions before I got my first twin tip,
            which was the 151 DT... And I weigh 100kg It took me 2 sessions to
            get the TT concept down and I was cruising upwind more easily than I
            ever had before...

            I see people still struggling on 170/180 TT's after a few months...
            Find a board that feels comfortable for you even if you can't sail it
            I bought the dt before I had stayed upwind on it, I bought it because
            it felt so comfortable strapped to my feet, even when sitting on the
            sand...

            Just my opinion, please don't slam me, either assymetricaly or
            symetricaly

            Callum

          • Mel
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 23, 2002
              "tabitha12mile" <tabitha12mile@...> wrote:

              > I agree assy boards are a gimmick, I've got the RRD
              > one and even though I love it I only ever use the one side. If I
              > want to change sides then I have to get out a screwdiver and change
              > the straps because they are not set parallel to the edge. This means
              > far too much work so I only ever use the one side.

              While I don't have an opinion on whether or not asymmetry is a gimmick, I
              don't think the RRDs are designed to switch the straps/bindings to put your
              heels on the short side. It's apparent by looking at the strap insert
              placement (toes out with your heels on the long side).