Re: Q power line strength?

  • fernmanus
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2002
      Phil,

      I am not familiar with a figure 8 knot. However, I have
      successfully used a double or triple surgeon's knot to extend both
      leader and line lengths.

      Kenny

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., Remtgnow@A... wrote:
      > I have leftover q- line and want to know ?
      > If I tie figure 8 knots, is it strong enough to use to extend my
      20 m lines
      > to 30 m lines?
      > I think it's the strongest lline ,600 lbs
      > Thanks
      > phil B
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2002
        I use figure-8 knots all the time in Q-Power line. They are supposed to
        weaken the line the least of any knot. I've even used bowlines (since
        they're SO easy to adjust, even after full loading) which are supposed to be
        weaker.

        There's a photo of a figure-8 in my group file folder, under MelMods, in a
        folder called "Mounting Methods".

        > I am not familiar with a figure 8 knot. However, I have
        > successfully used a double or triple surgeon's knot to extend both
        > leader and line lengths.
        >
        > Kenny
        >
        > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Remtgnow@A... wrote:
        > > I have leftover q- line and want to know ?
        > > If I tie figure 8 knots, is it strong enough to use to extend my
        > 20 m lines
        > > to 30 m lines?
        > > I think it's the strongest lline ,600 lbs
        > > Thanks
        > > phil B

        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

      • fernmanus
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2002
          Brain lapse on my part. I use figure 8 knots all the time. I have
          had them on a set of Q lines for two seasons. I did have one line
          break at the knot after about 8 months, but I can tell you that the
          Q line in figure 8 knots is stronger than some of the pigtails on my
          kites. I have had to replace a fair number of those (I replaced
          them with Q line with figure 8 knots). I haven't tried bowlines
          using the Q line, but I do use the bowline knot on my leader for the
          chicken loop.

          If you are lengthening the lines on a temporary basis, use figure 8
          knots. If it is a permanent change, use the double surgeon. The
          double surgeon knot is also great for connecting two lines that are
          of different diameters. For example. I use a double surgeon knot
          to connect a 1/4" leader line for my chicken loop to a 1/8 inch line
          for the center leader.

          Kenny

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/