Q power line strength?

  • Remtgnow@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2002
      I have leftover q- line and want to know ?
      If I tie figure 8 knots, is it strong enough to use to extend my 20 m lines
      to 30 m lines?
      I think it's the strongest lline ,600 lbs
      Thanks
      phil B
    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2002
        Phil,

        I am not familiar with a figure 8 knot. However, I have
        successfully used a double or triple surgeon's knot to extend both
        leader and line lengths.

        Kenny

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., Remtgnow@A... wrote:
        > I have leftover q- line and want to know ?
        > If I tie figure 8 knots, is it strong enough to use to extend my
        20 m lines
        > to 30 m lines?
        > I think it's the strongest lline ,600 lbs
        > Thanks
        > phil B
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2002
          I use figure-8 knots all the time in Q-Power line. They are supposed to
          weaken the line the least of any knot. I've even used bowlines (since
          they're SO easy to adjust, even after full loading) which are supposed to be
          weaker.

          There's a photo of a figure-8 in my group file folder, under MelMods, in a
          folder called "Mounting Methods".

          > I am not familiar with a figure 8 knot. However, I have
          > successfully used a double or triple surgeon's knot to extend both
          > leader and line lengths.
          >
          > Kenny
          >
          > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Remtgnow@A... wrote:
          > > I have leftover q- line and want to know ?
          > > If I tie figure 8 knots, is it strong enough to use to extend my
          > 20 m lines
          > > to 30 m lines?
          > > I think it's the strongest lline ,600 lbs
          > > Thanks
          > > phil B

          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

        • fernmanus
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2002
            Brain lapse on my part. I use figure 8 knots all the time. I have
            had them on a set of Q lines for two seasons. I did have one line
            break at the knot after about 8 months, but I can tell you that the
            Q line in figure 8 knots is stronger than some of the pigtails on my
            kites. I have had to replace a fair number of those (I replaced
            them with Q line with figure 8 knots). I haven't tried bowlines
            using the Q line, but I do use the bowline knot on my leader for the
            chicken loop.

            If you are lengthening the lines on a temporary basis, use figure 8
            knots. If it is a permanent change, use the double surgeon. The
            double surgeon knot is also great for connecting two lines that are
            of different diameters. For example. I use a double surgeon knot
            to connect a 1/4" leader line for my chicken loop to a 1/8 inch line
            for the center leader.

            Kenny

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/