Re: Boogie Board?

  • ex_cpe
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2002
      --- In ksurfschool@y..., George Sarris <jakefarley2000@y...>
      wrote:
      > I was wondering if anyone has tried kiting with a
      > boogie board (laying down, kneeling, etc). I am
      > thinking about trying it. Any comments, drawbacks??

      George: I made a harness to connect boogieboard-to-kite last
      Fall. Problem: no edge. It's great for 10M, high speed slides
      downwind but you have to work like hell to get the kite flying
      again as it want to fall out of the sky having lost any resistance.

      I had a local surfboard shaper, Jon Ashton, make a similar
      shape hardboard - but with four fins this Spring we called the
      ROKET. I took it to Cabarete. The hard chargers were
      unimpressed as they were already getting big air standing, but a
      local, Tito, was the one-legged kiter mentioned. He previously
      would hug an old surfboard. I gave him this board and on the
      second tack he was getting upwind. ...but the boogie's not
      dead!

      Another Dominican, (it's amazing what you can do with no
      money...or one leg!) Henry, would take a beater R3 kite and a
      clapped out boogieboard.... He lays on his back, get's his
      knees out of the water, feet on the board...then dives the kite,
      pops up and TAKE'S OFF.

      He'd go 10M - eat it, and then go another - eat it....'till he was able
      to get the right combo of foot position and body english.

      What he had without seeing the magazines was a form of
      wakeskate. There's a new board from TOOBS with a
      pronounced nose rocker (a drop-knee board) and stiff frame that
      we're putting a non-skid on to make it easier to keep your footing.
      I just might have to take it to Cabarete for Henry to test! ...always
      playing.

      Jim
      UP kite gear (wetstuff.com)