Re: [ksurfschool] future of kiteboarding???

  • radio rental
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2002
      I found this site while doing a little armchair
      surfing.

      http://kiteworld.net/kiteboarding-stories.html

      Basically, read the stories and if these fuckwits are
      for real then this sport will get banned everywhere.

      Things like the coast guard getting called out and
      they are more concerned with saving their kite and the
      amazing spray the helicopter generates on the water.

      Reality cheque please

      rr

      =====
      Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

      But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • ex_cpe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2002
        --- In ksurfschool@y..., George Sarris <jakefarley2000@y...>
        wrote:
        > I was wondering if anyone has tried kiting with a
        > boogie board (laying down, kneeling, etc). I am
        > thinking about trying it. Any comments, drawbacks??

        George: I made a harness to connect boogieboard-to-kite last
        Fall. Problem: no edge. It's great for 10M, high speed slides
        downwind but you have to work like hell to get the kite flying
        again as it want to fall out of the sky having lost any resistance.

        I had a local surfboard shaper, Jon Ashton, make a similar
        shape hardboard - but with four fins this Spring we called the
        ROKET. I took it to Cabarete. The hard chargers were
        unimpressed as they were already getting big air standing, but a
        local, Tito, was the one-legged kiter mentioned. He previously
        would hug an old surfboard. I gave him this board and on the
        second tack he was getting upwind. ...but the boogie's not
        dead!

        Another Dominican, (it's amazing what you can do with no
        money...or one leg!) Henry, would take a beater R3 kite and a
        clapped out boogieboard.... He lays on his back, get's his
        knees out of the water, feet on the board...then dives the kite,
        pops up and TAKE'S OFF.

        He'd go 10M - eat it, and then go another - eat it....'till he was able
        to get the right combo of foot position and body english.

        What he had without seeing the magazines was a form of
        wakeskate. There's a new board from TOOBS with a
        pronounced nose rocker (a drop-knee board) and stiff frame that
        we're putting a non-skid on to make it easier to keep your footing.
        I just might have to take it to Cabarete for Henry to test! ...always
        playing.

        Jim
        UP kite gear (wetstuff.com)