Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Boogie Board?

  • radio rental
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2002
      try sitting on it and make little bindings for your
      feet... its fun!!

      --- mariakc911 <maria@...> wrote:
      > In Cabarete, there is a guy who is kiting lying down
      > or sitting on
      > his board, having only one leg (lost the other one
      > after a
      > motorcycle accident). He was able to go upwind, turn
      > around. He
      > uses very short lines to keep control. Very
      > impressive !!
      >
      > Maria :)
      >
      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., George Sarris
      > <jakefarley2000@y...> wrote:
      > > I was wondering if anyone has tried kiting with a
      > > boogie board (laying down, kneeling, etc). I am
      > > thinking about trying it. Any comments,
      > drawbacks??

      > > http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

      =====
      Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

      But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2002
        I found this site while doing a little armchair
        surfing.

        http://kiteworld.net/kiteboarding-stories.html

        Basically, read the stories and if these fuckwits are
        for real then this sport will get banned everywhere.

        Things like the coast guard getting called out and
        they are more concerned with saving their kite and the
        amazing spray the helicopter generates on the water.

        Reality cheque please

        rr

        =====
        Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

        But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • ex_cpe
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2002
          wrote:
          > I was wondering if anyone has tried kiting with a
          > boogie board (laying down, kneeling, etc). I am
          > thinking about trying it. Any comments, drawbacks??

          George: I made a harness to connect boogieboard-to-kite last
          Fall. Problem: no edge. It's great for 10M, high speed slides
          downwind but you have to work like hell to get the kite flying
          again as it want to fall out of the sky having lost any resistance.

          I had a local surfboard shaper, Jon Ashton, make a similar
          shape hardboard - but with four fins this Spring we called the
          ROKET. I took it to Cabarete. The hard chargers were
          unimpressed as they were already getting big air standing, but a
          local, Tito, was the one-legged kiter mentioned. He previously
          would hug an old surfboard. I gave him this board and on the
          second tack he was getting upwind. ...but the boogie's not
          dead!

          Another Dominican, (it's amazing what you can do with no
          money...or one leg!) Henry, would take a beater R3 kite and a
          clapped out boogieboard.... He lays on his back, get's his
          knees out of the water, feet on the board...then dives the kite,
          pops up and TAKE'S OFF.

          He'd go 10M - eat it, and then go another - eat it....'till he was able
          to get the right combo of foot position and body english.

          What he had without seeing the magazines was a form of
          wakeskate. There's a new board from TOOBS with a
          pronounced nose rocker (a drop-knee board) and stiff frame that
          we're putting a non-skid on to make it easier to keep your footing.
          I just might have to take it to Cabarete for Henry to test! ...always
          playing.

          Jim
          UP kite gear (wetstuff.com)