Re: Boogie Board?

  • mariakc911
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2002
      In Cabarete, there is a guy who is kiting lying down or sitting on
      his board, having only one leg (lost the other one after a
      motorcycle accident). He was able to go upwind, turn around. He
      uses very short lines to keep control. Very impressive !!

      Maria :)

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., George Sarris <jakefarley2000@y...> wrote:
      > I was wondering if anyone has tried kiting with a
      > boogie board (laying down, kneeling, etc). I am
      > thinking about trying it. Any comments, drawbacks??

      > http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • radio rental
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2002
        try sitting on it and make little bindings for your
        feet... its fun!!

        --- mariakc911 <maria@...> wrote:
        > In Cabarete, there is a guy who is kiting lying down
        > or sitting on
        > his board, having only one leg (lost the other one
        > after a
        > motorcycle accident). He was able to go upwind, turn
        > around. He
        > uses very short lines to keep control. Very
        > impressive !!
        >
        > Maria :)
        >
        > --- In ksurfschool@y..., George Sarris
        > <jakefarley2000@y...> wrote:
        > > I was wondering if anyone has tried kiting with a
        > > boogie board (laying down, kneeling, etc). I am
        > > thinking about trying it. Any comments,
        > drawbacks??

        > > http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

        =====
        Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

        But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2002
          I found this site while doing a little armchair
          surfing.

          http://kiteworld.net/kiteboarding-stories.html

          Basically, read the stories and if these fuckwits are
          for real then this sport will get banned everywhere.

          Things like the coast guard getting called out and
          they are more concerned with saving their kite and the
          amazing spray the helicopter generates on the water.

          Reality cheque please

          rr

          =====
          Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

          But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • ex_cpe
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2002
            wrote:
            > I was wondering if anyone has tried kiting with a
            > boogie board (laying down, kneeling, etc). I am
            > thinking about trying it. Any comments, drawbacks??

            George: I made a harness to connect boogieboard-to-kite last
            Fall. Problem: no edge. It's great for 10M, high speed slides
            downwind but you have to work like hell to get the kite flying
            again as it want to fall out of the sky having lost any resistance.

            I had a local surfboard shaper, Jon Ashton, make a similar
            shape hardboard - but with four fins this Spring we called the
            ROKET. I took it to Cabarete. The hard chargers were
            unimpressed as they were already getting big air standing, but a
            local, Tito, was the one-legged kiter mentioned. He previously
            would hug an old surfboard. I gave him this board and on the
            second tack he was getting upwind. ...but the boogie's not
            dead!

            Another Dominican, (it's amazing what you can do with no
            money...or one leg!) Henry, would take a beater R3 kite and a
            clapped out boogieboard.... He lays on his back, get's his
            knees out of the water, feet on the board...then dives the kite,
            pops up and TAKE'S OFF.

            He'd go 10M - eat it, and then go another - eat it....'till he was able
            to get the right combo of foot position and body english.

            What he had without seeing the magazines was a form of
            wakeskate. There's a new board from TOOBS with a
            pronounced nose rocker (a drop-knee board) and stiff frame that
            we're putting a non-skid on to make it easier to keep your footing.
            I just might have to take it to Cabarete for Henry to test! ...always
            playing.

            Jim
            UP kite gear (wetstuff.com)