Re: [ksurfschool] Re: question on landing solo.

  • Badcoconut
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
      The July issue of Kiteboarding magazine shows a landing maneuver that I found very effective. Any beginner can execute this move, it's called a "forward sand spin into a drag" I discovered it by accident when I had my new kite airborne for the first time. (This move should be done on land with onshore winds)
      STEP 1: while hooked in to you power loop, remove your left hand from your bar allowing the left side to tilt up, the kite will now dive steeply into the power zone
      STEP 2: Scream loudly as you are yanked with force into forward motion. spin 3 or 4 times shouting "oh my god I'm going to die"
      STEP 3: Position yourself so that you are being dragged forward and your butt is plowing the earth ahead of you.
      STEP 4: Pull down on your bar and unhook. Now let go!! your kite will flatten and fall and your forward motion will halt
      STEP 5: Grab one of the large rocks that you just ran over with your body, remove your leash, set rock on leash, run to kite, unhook kite,deflate,fold. Pack up lines and kite and the rest of your gear, Go home and drink heavily.

      Badcoconut..............
      www.badcoconut.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
        Philip,

        The method you describe works well as long as the water is shallow.
        If the water is deep, it is better to wind up while in the water.

        I personally feel lucky because I kiteboard in a disgusting saline
        pond that no beach goer would ever frequent. I only have to worry
        about hitting cows when I land my kite.

        Kenny

      • Philip
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
          Kenny,

          Agreed.
          By the way the place Sounds great! How do I get there?

          Philip

          Philip Mann
          Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
          http://www.inlandsea.com
          Kitesite.net
          http://www.kitesite.net
          toll free 888-465-2632

          The method you describe works well as long as the water is shallow.
          If the water is deep, it is better to wind up while in the water.

          I personally feel lucky because I kiteboard in a disgusting saline
          pond that no beach goer would ever frequent. I only have to worry
          about hitting cows when I land my kite.

          Kenny

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Philip" <phil@i...> wrote:
          > I have found that once the kite is down in the water I take the
          leash
          > off so I'm not dragging a bunch of line with me when I move to the
          kite.
          > I just get so I'm about 150 feet from the beach and let the bar go,
          > this land the kite straight downwind. Then I take off the leash and
          > move toward the kite while pulling
          on the
          > line. I grab the kite and bring it up on the beach and then go
          back to
          > the bar and wind it all up. Works quite well.
          >
          > Philip
          >

          > Philip Mann
          > Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
          > http://www.inlandsea.com
          > Kitesite.net
          > http://www.kitesite.net
          > toll free 888-465-2632

        • Mel
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
            I walk nearly a line length from the edge of the water, then dive the kite
            down (from about a kitespan up, in order to have enough space to get the LE
            parallel to the water, & then run a few steps to slacken the lines before it
            hits), & just run & grab it (carrying the bar). The fact that it's
            side-onshore, with small surf may help make this technique work.

            Mel
          • glennfbartlett
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2002
              --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
              > I walk nearly a line length from the edge of the water, then dive
              the kite
              > down (from about a kitespan up, in order to have enough
              space to get the LE
              > parallel to the water, & then run a few steps to slacken the
              lines before it
              > hits), & just run & grab it (carrying the bar). The fact that it's
              > side-onshore, with small surf may help make this technique
              work.

              > Mel

              Thanks everyone for the advice. I think next time I'll try taking off
              my wrist leash before retrieving the kite. I guess I'm a little wary
              of "land-based manoevers at present--maybe when I'm a little
              more advanced.

              Cheers
              Glenn