question on landing solo.

  • glennfbartlett
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
      Hi,
      Mostly when I go kiting it's on my own with no-one to help me
      land. I have pretty much figured out a safe way to carry my kite
      into the water and launch from the water (I dont feel confident to
      launch from land yet), but the only way I know to land seems
      really clumsy and I always get an almighty line tangle. Basically I
      try to land the kite (in the water) in the depower window to the far
      left (the safety line side) and once it has touched the water I point
      the bar at the kite and let go of the bar then retrieve the kite by
      walking up the safety line string. By the time I get to the kite it has
      spun over a few times and the lines are a mess and as I try to
      wind in the lines the saftey line and the board leash get all
      tangled in it. The other day as I was walking up the beach with
      this mess some guy relaunched into me, knocked the kite from
      my hands and the huge mess of lines got snared in my harness,
      I got dragged along a ways, fortunately avoided harm. But I
      guess a tangle of lines is a liability.

      Is there a better way??

      TIA
      Glenn Bartlett
    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
        Glenn,

        Yes, there is a better way. Drop the kite into the water the way
        you usually do and immediately begin winding up the lines. This
        will result in uneven lines, but you should be able to avoid tangles
        if you are careful. This is the safest method for solo landings.

        Many kite boarders have learned to drop their kite on the beach with
        the leading edge down and the kite turned out of the wind. This
        works okay if the beach is empty and the wind is not too strong.

        Of course, it is always nice to have someone else help you land the
        kite. The hand motion to use is to tap the top of your head with
        your palm to indicate that you desire help landing the kite.

        Kenny

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "glennfbartlett" <glennbartlett@c...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > Mostly when I go kiting it's on my own with no-one to help me
        > land. I have pretty much figured out a safe way to carry my kite
        > into the water and launch from the water (I dont feel confident to
        > launch from land yet), but the only way I know to land seems
        > really clumsy and I always get an almighty line tangle. Basically
        > try to land the kite (in the water) in the depower window to the
        far
        > left (the safety line side) and once it has touched the water I
        point
        > the bar at the kite and let go of the bar then retrieve the kite
        by
        > walking up the safety line string. By the time I get to the kite
        it has
        > spun over a few times and the lines are a mess and as I try to
        > wind in the lines the saftey line and the board leash get all
        > tangled in it. The other day as I was walking up the beach with
        > this mess some guy relaunched into me, knocked the kite from
        > my hands and the huge mess of lines got snared in my harness,
        > I got dragged along a ways, fortunately avoided harm. But I
        > guess a tangle of lines is a liability.
        >
        > Is there a better way??
        >
        > TIA
        > Glenn Bartlett
      • Philip
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
          I have found that once the kite is down in the water I take the leash
          off so I'm not dragging a bunch of line with me when I move to the kite.
          I just get so I'm about 150 feet from the beach and let the bar go,
          this land the kite straight downwind.
          Then I take off the leash and move toward the kite while pulling on the
          line. I grab the kite and bring it up on the beach and then go back to
          the bar and wind it all up. Works quite well.

          Philip

          Philip Mann
          Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
          http://www.inlandsea.com
          Kitesite.net
          http://www.kitesite.net
          toll free 888-465-2632

          Yes, there is a better way. Drop the kite into the water the way
          you usually do and immediately begin winding up the lines. This
          will result in uneven lines, but you should be able to avoid tangles
          if you are careful. This is the safest method for solo landings.

          Many kite boarders have learned to drop their kite on the beach with
          the leading edge down and the kite turned out of the wind. This
          works okay if the beach is empty and the wind is not too strong.

          Of course, it is always nice to have someone else help you land the
          kite. The hand motion to use is to tap the top of your head with
          your palm to indicate that you desire help landing the kite.

          Kenny

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "glennfbartlett" <glennbartlett@c...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          > Mostly when I go kiting it's on my own with no-one to help me
          > land. I have pretty much figured out a safe way to carry my kite
          > into the water and launch from the water (I dont feel confident to
          > launch from land yet), but the only way I know to land seems
          > really clumsy and I always get an almighty line tangle. Basically
          > try to land the kite (in the water) in the depower window to the
          far
          > left (the safety line side) and once it has touched the water I
          point
          > the bar at the kite and let go of the bar then retrieve the kite
          by
          > walking up the safety line string. By the time I get to the kite
          it has
          > spun over a few times and the lines are a mess and as I try to
          > wind in the lines the saftey line and the board leash get all
          > tangled in it. The other day as I was walking up the beach with
          > this mess some guy relaunched into me, knocked the kite from
          > my hands and the huge mess of lines got snared in my harness,
          > I got dragged along a ways, fortunately avoided harm. But I
          > guess a tangle of lines is a liability.
          >
          > Is there a better way??
          >
          > TIA
          > Glenn Bartlett

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Tom Rolf
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
            After I land the kite in the water (leading edge down) , I wind in one
            line (equal to the leading edge length of the kite [[or 3/4]]).
            This is to maintain a depowered kite that will not relaunch. Then wind
            in all lines, while maintaining that differential.

            glennfbartlett wrote:

            >Hi,
            > Mostly when I go kiting it's on my own with no-one to help me
            >land. I have pretty much figured out a safe way to carry my kite
            >into the water and launch from the water (I dont feel confident to
            >launch from land yet), but the only way I know to land seems
            >really clumsy and I always get an almighty line tangle. Basically I
            >try to land the kite (in the water) in the depower window to the far
            >left (the safety line side) and once it has touched the water I point
            >the bar at the kite and let go of the bar then retrieve the kite by
            >walking up the safety line string. By the time I get to the kite it has
            >spun over a few times and the lines are a mess and as I try to
            >wind in the lines the saftey line and the board leash get all
            >tangled in it. The other day as I was walking up the beach with
            >this mess some guy relaunched into me, knocked the kite from
            >my hands and the huge mess of lines got snared in my harness,
            >I got dragged along a ways, fortunately avoided harm. But I
            >guess a tangle of lines is a liability.
            >
            >Is there a better way??
            >
            >TIA
            >Glenn Bartlett

          • Badcoconut
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
              The July issue of Kiteboarding magazine shows a landing maneuver that I found very effective. Any beginner can execute this move, it's called a "forward sand spin into a drag" I discovered it by accident when I had my new kite airborne for the first time. (This move should be done on land with onshore winds)
              STEP 1: while hooked in to you power loop, remove your left hand from your bar allowing the left side to tilt up, the kite will now dive steeply into the power zone
              STEP 2: Scream loudly as you are yanked with force into forward motion. spin 3 or 4 times shouting "oh my god I'm going to die"
              STEP 3: Position yourself so that you are being dragged forward and your butt is plowing the earth ahead of you.
              STEP 4: Pull down on your bar and unhook. Now let go!! your kite will flatten and fall and your forward motion will halt
              STEP 5: Grab one of the large rocks that you just ran over with your body, remove your leash, set rock on leash, run to kite, unhook kite,deflate,fold. Pack up lines and kite and the rest of your gear, Go home and drink heavily.

              Badcoconut..............
              www.badcoconut.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
                Philip,

                The method you describe works well as long as the water is shallow.
                If the water is deep, it is better to wind up while in the water.

                I personally feel lucky because I kiteboard in a disgusting saline
                pond that no beach goer would ever frequent. I only have to worry
                about hitting cows when I land my kite.

                Kenny

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
                  Kenny,

                  Agreed.
                  By the way the place Sounds great! How do I get there?

                  Philip

                  Philip Mann
                  Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
                  http://www.inlandsea.com
                  Kitesite.net
                  http://www.kitesite.net
                  toll free 888-465-2632

                  The method you describe works well as long as the water is shallow.
                  If the water is deep, it is better to wind up while in the water.

                  I personally feel lucky because I kiteboard in a disgusting saline
                  pond that no beach goer would ever frequent. I only have to worry
                  about hitting cows when I land my kite.

                  Kenny

                  --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Philip" <phil@i...> wrote:
                  > I have found that once the kite is down in the water I take the
                  leash
                  > off so I'm not dragging a bunch of line with me when I move to the
                  kite.
                  > I just get so I'm about 150 feet from the beach and let the bar go,
                  > this land the kite straight downwind. Then I take off the leash and
                  > move toward the kite while pulling
                  on the
                  > line. I grab the kite and bring it up on the beach and then go
                  back to
                  > the bar and wind it all up. Works quite well.
                  >
                  > Philip
                  >

                  > Philip Mann
                  > Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
                  > http://www.inlandsea.com
                  > Kitesite.net
                  > http://www.kitesite.net
                  > toll free 888-465-2632

                • Mel
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
                    I walk nearly a line length from the edge of the water, then dive the kite
                    down (from about a kitespan up, in order to have enough space to get the LE
                    parallel to the water, & then run a few steps to slacken the lines before it
                    hits), & just run & grab it (carrying the bar). The fact that it's
                    side-onshore, with small surf may help make this technique work.

                    Mel
                  • glennfbartlett
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 6, 2002
                      --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
                      > I walk nearly a line length from the edge of the water, then dive
                      the kite
                      > down (from about a kitespan up, in order to have enough
                      space to get the LE
                      > parallel to the water, & then run a few steps to slacken the
                      lines before it
                      > hits), & just run & grab it (carrying the bar). The fact that it's
                      > side-onshore, with small surf may help make this technique
                      work.

                      > Mel

                      Thanks everyone for the advice. I think next time I'll try taking off
                      my wrist leash before retrieving the kite. I guess I'm a little wary
                      of "land-based manoevers at present--maybe when I'm a little
                      more advanced.

                      Cheers
                      Glenn