Re: Final Waterstart question. Sooo Close!

  • mauidragao
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hi Mel

      I just learn how to get up on my broad and I only able to go
      to the left doesn,t it got anything to do with when I snowbroad cause
      I am regular.

      mauidragao

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "medairkite" <med@i...> wrote:
      > Mel
      >
      > great insights. do you recommend being hooked or unhooked when
      > waterstaring with a 2 line, what about with a 4 line.
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > med
      >
      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
      > > <infrauk@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > With the kite in Neutral, I put my weight onto my back foot,
      > >
      > > I don't get the feeling myself. I feel like both my feet are
      > weighted
      > > roughly equal, but then I have my footstraps positioned so my
      feet
      > are
      > > weighted equal while riding (all the way back in the stock
      > inserts). More
      > > important to think of bending your legs, and pushing your heels
      > down &
      > > upwind (to get your butt over the board).
      > >
      > > > move the
      > > > kite towards the edge of the wind window according to the
      > direction I
      > > > want to travel,
      > >
      > > More like "dive the kite straight down". Of course the angle of
      > dive is
      > > highly dependent on wind strength & kite size (in other words
      dive
      > more if
      > > you need more power). If diving straight down & pulling out only
      > at the
      > > very last moment before turning as tight as possible to barely
      miss
      > the
      > > water still won't get you up, then start by moving the kite back
      in
      > the
      > > opposite direction a bit first, before diving it (gives more
      diving
      > space, &
      > > also gets the kite moving before even starting the dive).
      > >
      > > > briefly point the front of the board towards the
      > > > kite,
      > >
      > > That is a technique to use if you've dived the kite too much: you
      > steer
      > > towards the kite in order that line tension doesn't pull you over
      > on your
      > > face.
      > >
      > > > then when up, make sure the board is parallel to the kite,
      > > > distribute my weight evenly across both feet and edge hard.
      > >
      > > Again dependent on how powered up you are, you may not need or
      want
      > to edge
      > > hard. Edge only hard enough to maintain your desired course.
      Most
      > often
      > > those at your stage are underpowered, & a common problem is
      failing
      > to keep
      > > working the kite up & down to maintain sufficient power to keep
      > your balance
      > > once up on the board.
      > >
      > > > With directionals, I was told you needed to dive the kite to
      get
      > up.
      > > > But not on Twin tips. Is this true?
      > >
      > > Absolutely not. The kite maneuver is identical, & the foot work
      is
      > also
      > > essentially the same too.
      > >
      > > > If not, could you advise how the
      > > > kite should be manoeuvered?
      > >
      > > I already did that above, but it's a good idea to lie on your
      back
      > on the
      > > sand to practice without the board. Hover, then dive to lift you
      > to a
      > > standing position. You may need to bend your knees, & pull your
      > butt in
      > > over your feet too, just like in the water.
      > >
      > > > Determined to get up and stay up this weekend.
      > >
      > > The first time you get up on the board you'll likely fall
      > immediately, but
      > > by the end of the day (or maybe by the beginning of the next day)
      > you'll
      > > likely be able to stay up indefinitely. In other words, don't get
      > > frustrated, just keep trying, & quite soon you'll be ripping.
      > >
      > > Mel
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
        "medairkite" <med@...> wrote:

        > Mel
        >
        > great insights. do you recommend being hooked or unhooked when
        > waterstaring with a 2 line, what about with a 4 line.

        It's generally easier to waterstart unhooked, since when you're learning
        you're more likely to be underpowered, & it's easier for the kite force to
        lift you from your shoulders, than from your waist (where the hook is).
        Given that, I never had any problem waterstarting hooked in, when I switched
        to riding 4-line "locked-in-trimloop".

        Mel
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
          "mauidragao" <mauidragao@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mel
          >
          > I just learn how to get up on my broad and I only able to go
          > to the left doesn,t it got anything to do with when I snowbroad cause
          > I am regular.

          Maybe. I'm regular foot, & had no trouble learning left (port tack)
          waterstarts, but then I was already doing that on a sailboard even before I
          learned to snowboard (let alone kiteboard!). My normal answer to the "can't
          do it the other way" question is to get good enough doing it one way that
          you can do it without thinking, then while thinking about something else
          (such as how it would feel to do it in the opposite direction!).

          Mel
        • mauidragao
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
            -Thank you Mel what a good answer, I know I can do it it just I need
            more water time you know .

            jojo