Re: solo landing question for ramfoil type kite ... easy

  • annagraceamelia
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2002
      David is right on with his 3rd line information and his info
      generalizes pretty well to all 3 line foils I am familiar with. For
      safety purposes, I test the position of the stopper knot before going
      out by dropping the bar and making sure the kite depowers fully and
      drops. This safety system is really an advantage of foils and makes
      solo launching /landing much safer (In no way do I mean to contradict
      the guy who said you should have a way of disconnecting this safety,
      be prepared to drown the kite, etc. if all hell breaks loose.)

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "David Stanek" <staff@s...> wrote:
      > Just my "5 cents" to this subject. We use with graet sucess 3rd line
      > brake/stall system on ram-air JOJO WET and JOJO RAGE - you can let
      go off
      > the bar and kite will totally depower and land in very controlled
      manner -
      > guaranteed 99% of times when you let go off the bar soon enough ..
      if you
      > wait too long and let the kite to spin too much ... lines will have
      too many
      > twists and brake lne will not slide through ..
      > What we did is quite simple - our brake line leader goes through
      pulley
      > (attached by velcro strap to the bar) down to our safety leash. On
      brake
      > leader, above the pulley, we have stop knot limiting leader travel -
      when
      > set properly (each kite size requires a bit different brake leader
      travel
      > range) and you let bat go it will slide up to the stop knot ..
      brakes are
      > activated making the kite instantly to depower, stall and go down
      for
      > landing. If kite gets into nose-diving or out of control we
      reccomend to
      > newbie JOJO riders "let go off the bar" ! This system works well on
      our
      > kites - bar slides only 20-30" up the leader line (end attached to
      leash) -
      > we never had any problems with kite spining out of control or bar
      going
      > through lines etc.. no extra lines pulled in causing tangles etc..
      all you
      > have to do to re-start the kite is to pull on the leash line, reach
      for the
      > bar, pull on it .. and kite will re-launch again. This works very
      well in
      > nose-dive situation as well - most of the time, if you let go off
      the bar
      > soon enough, the brakes will stop the kite from diving and hitting
      the
      > water, you turn the bar, kite does 180 and here you go again.. For
      reverse
      > launch - just pull on the leash ..
      > Anyway - leader with stopper knot guided through pulley on the bar
      ( or
      > through centre hole if you don't use sheeting) is the key to good
      trim of
      > brake action. Trimming is easy - short travel = kite will not fully
      > depower/stall... too long travel - it will turn into ball, start
      spinning,
      > flapping, tangling...
      > Check our re-designed web site (almost completed) for some pics of
      our
      > pulley and 4-line bar set-up for foils
      >
      > www.jojokites.com
      >
      > David
      > Skyline Wings

      KItes
      > in strong winds will flap, roll over. spin, fly up a little, etc.
      even on

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/