RE: [ksurfschool] ARC question?

  • Mark Pronk
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2002
      I did have a kitemare which, to be honest, forced me to become an enormous
      bigger amount of safety concious as you call it.

      Had a very heavyly overpowered beach session which dragged me along da beach
      for over 100 meters with my 630. The kite went up side-launch and after i
      had it inflated completely fully depowered i put it at zenith so i could
      connect the safety-leash (yeah, stupid...). So, with kite at zenith i walked
      downwind cuz i wanted to do some jumping (love that). Then i hit the
      turbulence of the windmill that is some 150 meters upwind at that beach
      (probably generating a small fortune for the electric company then). The ARC
      then was wiped down by the wirling air right down in the windframe (as would
      any and i mean ANY kite i ever touched) without the chance to depower or
      react. Which resulted in a more then 100 meter body drag right into the
      direction of our basalt blocks peer some 500 meters downwind (which seemed
      more then enough to me when i arrived...) with me on my belly down without
      any chance to pull shackle cord or even move my arms. I thought i would die,
      i can tell you that. Luckily the kite hit more stable air so it went up
      again to zenith and lose power.

      If you can use the well known auto-zenith feature of the arc, please do so
      when your life depends on it. I held my bar tightly and pulled in fully, as
      a panic reaction. Error. I better had the bar go. 2nd point, i was lucky
      that i had the leach connected after all (reason of my kitemare) cuz i
      didn't have the guts anymore (adrenaline well used...) to land the arc
      normally...

      So, I think that it's the kitemare that makes one realize that a kite can
      kill, and learn to respect that thing more. And Aeolus too, which still
      helps us all kiteboarders to become stoked time and time again....

      Have fun kiting! Whatever you fly!
      mARC

      G'day Mark

      Thanks for your balanced reply regarding the arc "stays at zenith feature"
      :-)) well put, I don't like the sound of auto anything on a steerable power
      kite.
      Same goes for the super stable latest inflatos, never trust them to stay
      there either.

      I agree that begginers definately beneift from stable kites, they should
      never be told that you don't have to worry about keeping attention on the
      kite while getting to the water or putting the board on for a water start,
      this is regardles of kite brand.

      Because you do all those safety checks you are unlikely to ever have a
      serious kitemare, if only everyone was trained or as safety concious as you!
      :-)
      http://www.kitepower.com.au <http://www.kitepower.com.au>
      open 7 days, every week.