RE: [ksurfschool] kite flying problem

  • Farnsworth, Kenny
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2000
      Michael,

      You should not have as many tangles with a 2 line Wipika. The multiple
      lines attached to the kite are called bridle lines. The Wipika probably has
      fewer bridle lines than your stunt kite. However, tangles will occur on the
      water. When you have a problem in the water it is important to know how to
      do a self rescue. Basically, you depower the kite by wrapping one line the
      distance of the length of the kite around the control bar. Then you wrap in
      both lines until you reach the kite. You can use the kite as a sail to take
      you into shore. The best place to straighten out tangles is on the shore.
      Another thing to keep in mind is to always wind the lines the same way on
      the control bar when putting away the kite. Always take time to make sure
      that your bridle lines are untangled before attaching the flying lines.
      These tips would have saved me a lot of time and hassle when I first started
      out.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2000
        Kenny....

        Thanks a lot for your helpful reply.

        How do you avoid tangling your bridle lines in the first place? (I
        assume it is probably avoidable as I have not seen experienced
        surfers
        sailing in to detangle their equipment, and it happened to me twice
        in a 30-45 minute period).

        Michael.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2000
          Michael,

          You are probably flying your stunt kite much more aggressively than you
          would ever fly a large traction kite. The Wipika doesn't have a lot of
          bridle lines, so it far less likely for the bridle lines to get tangled
          while flying. On a 2 line Wipika or Naish kite, almost all tangles (in the
          water) occur for the following 3 reasons:
          1. The bridles lines were tangled when you attached the flying lines. This
          is usually the case.
          2. The bladders are not pumped up enough. If this happens the kite will
          twist on the water and the kite may actually invert. Keep the bladders
          pumped up and keep sailing.
          3. Flying line tangles are far more common for a beginner. Wind up the
          flying lines onto your control bar before exiting the water (follow the
          depowering instructions I gave you to prevent the kite from powering up
          while you are winding the lines). Not following this instruction can cause
          tangles, but more importantly can cause serious injury if you become
          entangled in the flying lines. For this reason, I always carry a knife (the
          same type used by Para gliders).

          Get some instruction before flying the Wipika. If you do not have local
          instruction, buy the video "Kiteboarding: How to Rip." You can really hurt
          yourself if you do not understand the safety issues first.

          How do you avoid tangling your bridle lines in the first place? (I
          assume it is probably avoidable as I have not seen experienced
          surfers
          sailing in to detangle their equipment, and it happened to me twice
          in a 30-45 minute period).

          Michael.

          > Michael,
          >
          > You should not have as many tangles with a 2 line Wipika. The
          multiple
          > lines attached to the kite are called bridle lines. The Wipika
          probably has
          > fewer bridle lines than your stunt kite. However, tangles will
          occur on the
          > water. When you have a problem in the water it is important to
          know
          how to
          > do a self rescue. Basically, you depower the kite by wrapping one
          line the
          > distance of the length of the kite around the control bar. Then
          you
          wrap in
          > both lines until you reach the kite. You can use the kite as a
          sail
          to take
          > you into shore. The best place to straighten out tangles is on the
          shore.
          > Another thing to keep in mind is to always wind the lines the same
          way on
          > the control bar when putting away the kite. Always take time to
          make sure
          > that your bridle lines are untangled before attaching the flying
          lines.
          > These tips would have saved me a lot of time and hassle when I
          first
          started
          > out.
          >
          > Kenny

          Free Conference Calling with Firetalk!
          Click Here!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/5480/12/_/60094/_/963252762/
        • Mark Frasier
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2000
            on 7/10/00 1:12 PM, gigglewithme@... at gigglewithme@...
            wrote:

            > Kenny....
            >
            > Thanks a lot for your helpful reply.
            >
            > How do you avoid tangling your bridle lines in the first place? (I
            > assume it is probably avoidable as I have not seen experienced
            > surfers
            > sailing in to detangle their equipment, and it happened to me twice
            > in a 30-45 minute period).
            >
            > Michael.

            Michael,

            Your bridle lines shouldn't be tangling when the kite is in the air, only
            when packing or unpacking. Sometimes if the kite "folds up" when you're
            flying it, one end of the foil will pass through the bridle, which can make
            a mess. But as long as the kite is actually flying, not just drifting
            through the air, there shouldn't be any tangling. One cause could be twisted
            flying lines. If your individual lines are each twisted they'll try to spin
            the bridle up. You can untwist each line by detaching it from the kite,
            tying one end to a stake or post, then walking up the line while squeezing &
            pulling it with a damp cloth or sponge. Do that several times. That only
            works for normal braided lines, it won't work with cheap twisted nylon
            lines.

            Is there anything dangling off the kite that might be causing the tangles?

            Mark Frasier