kite flying problem

  • gigglewithme@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2000
      While waiting for my Wipika to arrive, yesterday I bought a $50 foil
      2 line stunt kite and tried flying it in 20-25 kt wind at Kalmus
      Beach
      (MA) for practice (with handles).

      I could launch it myself, do figure 8's in the center and both sides
      of the power window, and could hover on both sides while walking.

      However, a few times the multiple lines that are attached directly to
      the kite (they must have a special name) got twisted and tangled.
      When that happened I could not fly or launch the kite...every time I
      started to get it up it would spin rapidly around its axis in one
      direction and violently crash.

      The only solution I figured out was detaching the kite and manually
      untwisting and untangling the lines (very time consuming and
      certainly
      impractical, and probably dangerous, if I were sailing).

      Two questions:

      1. How do you avoid getting in that situation (where those multiple
      lines get twisted and tangled)?

      and

      2.) If you do, is there a simple solution?

      Thanks for your patience with a novice.

      Michael.