instructors

  • Chris Moore
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2002
      Jake,

      In my opinion, one thing you should consider when you are evaluating the professionalism of a kiteboarding instructor is whether or not they are a certified instructor. The mere fact that someone is certified states something about that person. They have gone through the time, trouble, and financial commitment to make sure that they are doing the best possible job by becoming affiliated with a network of other professional instructors. Earning certification is a statement that says, I took the time to make sure I am up on the latest tips and techniques, that I want to bear a symbol to my students that says, I am certified because I care about doing a good job and offering you a good value. Often, if you are humble enough to make it your goal to learn something from other professionals than you are not the type of person that lets your ego get in the way of your professional ability to teach kiteboarding.

      There are certification system available to train and assist kiteboard instructors. I am affiliated with PASA and we host a five day training program that is very detailed and the focus is on the psychology and methodology of teaching, understanding the communication process and developing the methodology to present accurate information in an easy to consume manner. We also study and practice lesson plans, teaching techniques, equipment use and maintenance, as well as lots of topics dealing with business solutions. You may view the PASA website for a listing of certified schools or feel free to contact me to get an accurate list of PASA certified instructors.

      Chris Moore
      PASA

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 05:38:21 -0700 (PDT)
      From: George Sarris <jakefarley2000@...>
      Subject: Schools and Lessons

      Question..... Just because someone is a good
      kiteboarder, is that person a good instructor? Some
      individuals that I have heard that are instructors
      seem to have big egos and, to match that, they charge
      $75 per hour or more for lessons (they say it takes 4
      or 5 lessons to become nominally skilled and safe).

      My point is that I have learned far more from this
      group in a few months than I would have learned from 5
      or 6 hours of instruction. I consider myself still a
      beginner and have not taken a lesson because my time
      schedule and my wallet can not accomodate it.

      Just my 2 cents worth and I am sure the instructors
      will see this as controversial.

      George aka Jake "The Snake"Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com