Re: [ksurfschool] 'toy' kite for practice

  • SARAH HORTON
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2002
      Hello Dwight,
      That kite looks like it is flown using hand straps, get a kite that uses a bar.
      Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote: Talk to someone at a kitesurf shop. Most dealers will sell you the appropriate kite and then refund
      some or all of those dollars when you buy a big kite.

      Dwight

      > I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
      > give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
      > http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
      > I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have the
      > cash right now.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Piotr

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • SARAH HORTON
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2002
        Good Call,
        Taking a lesson will save you time, money, and bruises.
        callum_downie <callum_downie@...> wrote: It would give you the idea that when you pull left the kite goes left
        and when you pull right the kite goes right, but thats about it.

        You'd probably be better off saving your cash and getting a lesson,
        that is the best thing to do these days, give you a good feel for the
        sport and you don't trash your own kit...

        Callum

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2002
          Hi PJ,
          get a trainer that uses a bar
          pjawien <pjawien@...> wrote: I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
          give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
          http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
          I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have the
          cash right now.

          Thanks

          Piotr

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2002
            I prefer to sell people a samll foil kite liike a Prism Stylus, Thunderfoil, or Ozone Imp. these are 2 line foils, very easy to fly, fly well off a bar, and will withstand the crashes begginers have.
            The Sport kite pictured, is not ideal, as it come apart each time it is crashed, which means you have to walk up to it re-assemble it, and position it for a re-launch.
            Both types of kites can be flown off a bar, but foils are most like the big kiteboarding kites to fly.
            Kitepower will buy trainer kites back off people, this has only occurred twice this season as most people have a friend who will want to learn or kids, so let them learn on the inexpensive trainer kite!
            They are great fun to fly when the wind is too strong for kiting, and can be used on a landboard.

            www.kitepower.com.au