Re: [ksurfschool] 'toy' kite for practice

  • Pauric
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2002
      hee hee.. ok, now that I've slated Flexi.. here goes. I would recommend the flexifoil super 10 if you do go and buy a cheap toy. Of course, getting kitesurfing lessons is prefered and will cost roughly the same.

      The super 10 is a proper 2 line kite, will give you a relatively good feel for how bigger kites will handle. They are a ram air foil with strut on hte leading edge. They can generate a good bit of pull (nothing like a sea kite tho) and you will need a friend to help you get it up, fnarr fnarr.

      I wouldnt recommend a stunt kite like the one in the link below, the handling is very far removed from what you will experience with larger foils and inflatables. Stunt kites do what it says on the box - 'stunts'. Their fast, handle extremely responsively and are great fun down the park.
      regards

      03 May 2002 05:57
      To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
      cc:
      Subject: [ksurfschool] 'toy' kite for practice

      I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
      give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
      http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
      I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have the
      cash right now.

      Thanks

      Piotr

    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2002
        Talk to someone at a kitesurf shop. Most dealers will sell you the appropriate kite and then refund
        some or all of those dollars when you buy a big kite.

        Dwight

        > I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
        > give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
        > http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
        > I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have the
        > cash right now.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Piotr
      • SARAH HORTON
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2002
          Hello Dwight,
          That kite looks like it is flown using hand straps, get a kite that uses a bar.
          Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote: Talk to someone at a kitesurf shop. Most dealers will sell you the appropriate kite and then refund
          some or all of those dollars when you buy a big kite.

          Dwight

          > I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
          > give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
          > http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
          > I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have the
          > cash right now.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Piotr

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • SARAH HORTON
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2002
            Good Call,
            Taking a lesson will save you time, money, and bruises.
            callum_downie <callum_downie@...> wrote: It would give you the idea that when you pull left the kite goes left
            and when you pull right the kite goes right, but thats about it.

            You'd probably be better off saving your cash and getting a lesson,
            that is the best thing to do these days, give you a good feel for the
            sport and you don't trash your own kit...

            Callum

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2002
              Hi PJ,
              get a trainer that uses a bar
              pjawien <pjawien@...> wrote: I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
              give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
              http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
              I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have the
              cash right now.

              Thanks

              Piotr

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Kitepower
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                I prefer to sell people a samll foil kite liike a Prism Stylus, Thunderfoil, or Ozone Imp. these are 2 line foils, very easy to fly, fly well off a bar, and will withstand the crashes begginers have.
                The Sport kite pictured, is not ideal, as it come apart each time it is crashed, which means you have to walk up to it re-assemble it, and position it for a re-launch.
                Both types of kites can be flown off a bar, but foils are most like the big kiteboarding kites to fly.
                Kitepower will buy trainer kites back off people, this has only occurred twice this season as most people have a friend who will want to learn or kids, so let them learn on the inexpensive trainer kite!
                They are great fun to fly when the wind is too strong for kiting, and can be used on a landboard.

                www.kitepower.com.au