Re: [ksurfschool] 'toy' kite for practice

  • Mike Soultanian
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2002
      Yeah, that would probably help out a bunch, especially because that kite
      that you suggested is going to be alot more agile than a kitesurfing
      kite. If you can really control that kite and keep it going it straight
      lines across the power zone without it weaving up and down, it'll help
      you get a feel for things instead of jumping into a kitesurfing kite
      without any previous kite experience.

      I also started on a 2 line stunt kite and I think it helped me quite a
      bit!

      Mike

      pjawien wrote:

      > I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
      > give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
      > http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
      > I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have the
      > cash right now.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Piotr

      [...]
    • callum_downie
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2002
        It would give you the idea that when you pull left the kite goes left
        and when you pull right the kite goes right, but thats about it.

        You'd probably be better off saving your cash and getting a lesson,
        that is the best thing to do these days, give you a good feel for the
        sport and you don't trash your own kit...

        Callum

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "pjawien" <pjawien@y...> wrote:
        > I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
        > give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
        > http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
        > I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have
        the
        > cash right now.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Piotr
      • Pauric
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2002
          hee hee.. ok, now that I've slated Flexi.. here goes. I would recommend the flexifoil super 10 if you do go and buy a cheap toy. Of course, getting kitesurfing lessons is prefered and will cost roughly the same.

          The super 10 is a proper 2 line kite, will give you a relatively good feel for how bigger kites will handle. They are a ram air foil with strut on hte leading edge. They can generate a good bit of pull (nothing like a sea kite tho) and you will need a friend to help you get it up, fnarr fnarr.

          I wouldnt recommend a stunt kite like the one in the link below, the handling is very far removed from what you will experience with larger foils and inflatables. Stunt kites do what it says on the box - 'stunts'. Their fast, handle extremely responsively and are great fun down the park.
          regards

          03 May 2002 05:57
          To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
          cc:
          Subject: [ksurfschool] 'toy' kite for practice

          I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
          give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
          http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
          I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have the
          cash right now.

          Thanks

          Piotr

        • Dwight & Jacky
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2002
            Talk to someone at a kitesurf shop. Most dealers will sell you the appropriate kite and then refund
            some or all of those dollars when you buy a big kite.

            Dwight

            > I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
            > give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
            > http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
            > I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have the
            > cash right now.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Piotr
          • SARAH HORTON
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2002
              Hello Dwight,
              That kite looks like it is flown using hand straps, get a kite that uses a bar.
              Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote: Talk to someone at a kitesurf shop. Most dealers will sell you the appropriate kite and then refund
              some or all of those dollars when you buy a big kite.

              Dwight

              > I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
              > give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
              > http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
              > I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have the
              > cash right now.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Piotr

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • SARAH HORTON
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                Good Call,
                Taking a lesson will save you time, money, and bruises.
                callum_downie <callum_downie@...> wrote: It would give you the idea that when you pull left the kite goes left

                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                  Hi PJ,
                  get a trainer that uses a bar
                  pjawien <pjawien@...> wrote: I've windsurfed but never kitesurfed. Would the following toy kite
                  give me an idea of how a true kite is controlled?
                  http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/811357.asp
                  I understand that a proper trainer would be good, but don't have the
                  cash right now.

                  Thanks

                  Piotr

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Kitepower
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                    I prefer to sell people a samll foil kite liike a Prism Stylus, Thunderfoil, or Ozone Imp. these are 2 line foils, very easy to fly, fly well off a bar, and will withstand the crashes begginers have.
                    The Sport kite pictured, is not ideal, as it come apart each time it is crashed, which means you have to walk up to it re-assemble it, and position it for a re-launch.
                    Both types of kites can be flown off a bar, but foils are most like the big kiteboarding kites to fly.
                    Kitepower will buy trainer kites back off people, this has only occurred twice this season as most people have a friend who will want to learn or kids, so let them learn on the inexpensive trainer kite!
                    They are great fun to fly when the wind is too strong for kiting, and can be used on a landboard.

                    www.kitepower.com.au