What line length?

  • glennfbartlett
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2002
      I have read that longer lines extend the windrange of a kite. I
      presume that this is because the kite flies higher so is in a windier
      place higher up , and also the distance that the kite can cover in a
      sine wave pattern is greater thus more potential to fly the kite for
      power. For a newbie such as myself how much could I expect to lower
      the windrange of say a 12m kite by going from 30 to 40' lines?
      Do people tend to change lines depending on the wind conditions, or
      do they tend to get used to a certain length and get several kites?

      TIA
      Glenn Bartlett
    • cfglazier
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 8:16 PM
        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "glennfbartlett" <glennbartlett@c...> wrote:
        > I have read that longer lines extend the windrange of a kite.

        I think that this has been over stated in the past. Beginners are
        taught on longer lines so they have more time to react. And longer
        lines give longer distances to sine the kite, but don't expect a lot
        more power. It doesn't help at all at the high wind end and not too
        much at the low end IMO.
        Shorter lines (< 20 m) have advantages with faster response, but
        that's another issue.

        Chris G