first snow/water kite

  • pluvious2002
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 29, 2002
      I'm looking for recommendations for a friend (my sister's fiance!) who
      wants to get into kiting.

      He lives in Denver and will be using kite on both snow and water.

      What the current state of inflatables on snow? Are they still
      considered prone to damage on snow and ice? Should he stick with ram
      air? If so, what brand and size?

      I've got an ARC 1120, for use mainly in water, but don't want to
      (unduly) influence him and his selection.

      Any suggestions appreciated...
    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 29, 2002
        I wouldn't recommend an inflatable for use on the snow and ice. The
        ARC is a good recommendation.

        Kenny

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "pluvious2002" <dcl@r...> wrote:
        > I'm looking for recommendations for a friend (my sister's fiance!)
        who
        > wants to get into kiting.
        >
        > He lives in Denver and will be using kite on both snow and water.
        >
        > What the current state of inflatables on snow? Are they still
        > considered prone to damage on snow and ice? Should he stick with
        ram
        > air? If so, what brand and size?
        >
        > I've got an ARC 1120, for use mainly in water, but don't want to
        > (unduly) influence him and his selection.
        >
        > Any suggestions appreciated...
      • vytaspass
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 29, 2002
          I agree with the ARC recommend. I have flown three arcs, a couple
          foils, and four inflatables at this point. The ARCs can be used in
          water and on land (or snow). The ARCs are durable and require minimal
          setup time.

          On the snow, the setup time is a killer feature, IMO. You lay it out,
          setting it up to self inflate from the wind, and once you are done
          unwinding your lines and get your board in place, all you gotta do is
          close up the butt and you're ready to fly (10-15 mins difference in
          riding time). Then, when you're done, you just open the butt and roll
          it up. In the cold, its nice not having to deal with cold fingers
          being exposed to wind and snow with the ARCs!

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
          > I wouldn't recommend an inflatable for use on the snow and ice.
          The
          > ARC is a good recommendation.
          >
          > Kenny
          >
          > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "pluvious2002" <dcl@r...> wrote:
          > > I'm looking for recommendations for a friend (my sister's
          fiance!)
          > who
          > > wants to get into kiting.
          > >
          > > He lives in Denver and will be using kite on both snow and water.
          > >
          > > What the current state of inflatables on snow? Are they still
          > > considered prone to damage on snow and ice? Should he stick with
          > ram
          > > air? If so, what brand and size?
          > >
          > > I've got an ARC 1120, for use mainly in water, but don't want to
          > > (unduly) influence him and his selection.
          > >
          > > Any suggestions appreciated...
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 29, 2002
            Nothing is quicker and simpler than an open celled foil, like a Blade, etc.
            Many people prefer the greater/better control offered by open celled foils,
            flown on 4 line handles too.

            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            mailto:sydney@...
            Open 7 days
            126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
            Phone +61293157894

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 30, 2002
              Hi Kitepower, I agree. A blade or flysurfer would be great for the
              snow, as well. However, I think the original post asked for a
              recommend for both snow and water. Since I wouldn't use a blade on
              water, I shouldn't recommend it. I guess if you're good enough to not
              crash the kite ever, you can use whatever you want, but beginners
              like me have limited choices, or we better be powerful swimmers LOL!

            • hvkmike
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30, 2002
                I suggest you try a Jojo Rage.It works great on both surfaces.I have
                used land foils for surfing......but unless your skill level is
                high,it isnt recommended.
                Good Winds
                Mike

                --- In ksurfschool@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote

                Service.

              • Kitepower
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2002
                  Blades are used by people all over the world to kitesurf. Even beginners can
                  use a Blade if they are in an area of shallow water or do not venture
                  further from shore than they can safely swim.
                  Blades can be very safe, if they hit the water 99% of times they stay there!
                  They are also a very stable kite, which means they are quite suitable for
                  beginners. If your water use is limited and you understand the above, I have
                  no problem recommending a Blade to anyone. Get a lesson with it, if there is
                  an issue with knowledge on how to fly a Blade.
                  http://www.kitepower.com.au
                  mailto:sydney@...
                  126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                  Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                  Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                  Hi Kitepower, I agree. A blade or flysurfer would be great for the
                  snow, as well. However, I think the original post asked for a
                  recommend for both snow and water. Since I wouldn't use a blade on
                  water, I shouldn't recommend it. I guess if you're good enough to not
                  crash the kite ever, you can use whatever you want, but beginners
                  like me have limited choices, or we better be powerful swimmers LOL!

                  --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Kitepower" <kitepower@b...> wrote:
                  > Nothing is quicker and simpler than an open celled foil, like a
                  Blade, etc.
                  > Many people prefer the greater/better control offered by open
                  celled foils,
                  > flown on 4 line handles too.
                  >
                  > Cya and
                  > Goodwinds
                  > Steve McCormack
                  > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                  > mailto:sydney@k...
                  > Open 7 days
                  > Phone +61293157894

                  ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

                • KiteHIGH - North Shore
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2002
                    >Blades are used by people all over the world to kitesurf. Even beginners can
                    >use a Blade if they are in an area of shallow water or do not venture
                    >further from shore than they can safely swim.
                    >Blades can be very safe, if they hit the water 99% of times they stay there!
                    >They are also a very stable kite, which means they are quite suitable for
                    >beginners. If your water use is limited and you understand the above, I have
                    >no problem recommending a Blade to anyone. Get a lesson with it, if there is
                    >an issue with knowledge on how to fly a Blade.

                    Great foils true, I had a guy in my shop today, Hunter, an int/advanced
                    rider who used to ride blades exclusively but is not on Liquid Force 2001
                    kites. (cheap and he likes 'em)

                    He mentioned he loves the performance but was held back learning new
                    tricks, if he blew a maneuverer it was all over, luffed, drowned kite, swim
                    in, he guessed it put him 6 months behind riders of similar ability and
                    start times in our area.

                    I rode them occasionally but had the same feelings, passing on info.... No
                    doubt about their power, thats for sure, but yank HARD in gusts. The beauty
                    of the arcs is that they are are a foil, (the have some down sides) and
                    they absorb a lot of the gusts due to their "inflatable" shape.....good for
                    hard packed snow and beginning.

                    Sincerely
                    Andy Heaton

                    http://www.KiteHIGH.com
                    http://www.kitesurfcam.com
                    http://www.alohakiteboarding.com

                    E: support@...
                    P: 1 866 646 7835 (TOLL Free USA)
                    P: +001 808 250 5483 (International)
                    F: 1 928 563 2760

                  • Pauric
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3, 2002
                      for everyone's information - blades are not the only traction foil available. They're an old, but good, design. I really wish flexi would cut the price because they have more than made their money back on these things. Prone to lufting, bow tie'ing and require more than the average amount in sine'ing to keep them going when slightly under powered.

                      If anyone is considering using a blade on water there are other foils which have far better performance, more stable in gusty conditions and require less work. Its true that that you can get a bar conversion kit for the blade, however its a four line foil, the kit works with other four line foils.

                      I dont understand why anyone trusts a kite company that promotes its 'top of the range' land based traction as its prefered sea kite, its sea kite is a bag of crap - the nexus, its low end land based traction is actually bought in from another company and consistently out performs the 'top of the range' model - go figure!. Flexi make a lot of money and dont deserve it. Put the money in to companies which make an effort to develop good kites and dont just sit back and put their money in to marketing. Ok, I havent seen the Storm yet! But for one of the world leaders in kites.. its been a very long time in comming.

                      03 May 2002 01:03
                      To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
                      cc:
                      Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] RE: Re: first snow/water kite

                      >Blades are used by people all over the world to kitesurf. Even beginners can
                      >use a Blade if they are in an area of shallow water or do not venture
                      >further from shore than they can safely swim.
                      >Blades can be very safe, if they hit the water 99% of times they stay there!
                      >They are also a very stable kite, which means they are quite suitable for
                      >beginners. If your water use is limited and you understand the above, I have
                      >no problem recommending a Blade to anyone. Get a lesson with it, if there is
                      >an issue with knowledge on how to fly a Blade.

                      Great foils true, I had a guy in my shop today, Hunter, an int/advanced
                      rider who used to ride blades exclusively but is not on Liquid Force 2001
                      kites. (cheap and he likes 'em)

                      He mentioned he loves the performance but was held back learning new
                      tricks, if he blew a maneuverer it was all over, luffed, drowned kite, swim
                      in, he guessed it put him 6 months behind riders of similar ability and
                      start times in our area.

                      I rode them occasionally but had the same feelings, passing on info.... No
                      doubt about their power, thats for sure, but yank HARD in gusts. The beauty
                      of the arcs is that they are are a foil, (the have some down sides) and
                      they absorb a lot of the gusts due to their "inflatable" shape.....good for
                      hard packed snow and beginning.

                      Sincerely
                      Andy Heaton

                      http://www.KiteHIGH.com
                      http://www.kitesurfcam.com
                      http://www.alohakiteboarding.com

                      E: support@...
                      P: 1 866 646 7835 (TOLL Free USA)
                      P: +001 808 250 5483 (International)
                      F: 1 928 563 2760

                    • Mark Pronk
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 3, 2002
                        Flexi says ouch!!! ;-)

                        Have fun kiting! Whatever you fly!
                        mARC

                        <http://www.f-arc.tk[ Mark Pronk] > http://www.f-arc.tk

[...]

                        To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
                        cc:

                        http://www.KiteHIGH.com <http://www.KiteHIGH.com>
                        http://www.kitesurfcam.com <http://www.kitesurfcam.com>
                        http://www.alohakiteboarding.com <http://www.alohakiteboarding.com>

                        E: support@...
                        P: 1 866 646 7835 (TOLL Free USA)
                        P: +001 808 250 5483 (International)
                        F: 1 928 563 2760

                        http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm
                        <http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm> for the answers

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.2021092.3499911.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17051009
                        63:HM/A=1036972/R=0/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3466> Click Here!

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.2021092.3499911.1829184/D=egroupmai
                        l/S=1705100963:HM/A=1036972/rand=575209654>