RE: [ksurfschool] Controlling speed

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2002
      Hi Mark,
      I had a bit of trouble with this when I first started. Firstly,
      what board do you ride? Second, do you find you have the problem on both
      tacks? The reason I ask is because I am natural stance but I found
      controlling speed was easier on my goofy side to start with. I discovered
      that I had a really closed stance. You should try and orientate your hips
      and head in the direction you are wanting to go. Make sure your rear knee is
      bent straight over your toes, not in or out. Now if you doing all that right
      and you are still skooting downwind there is a good chance you are
      oversheeting. This is the most common problem beginners have with four line
      kites. Over use of sheeting leads to apparent wind. Easiest way to explain
      why is that if you sheet out your kite will shoot forward, if you are unable
      to edge at this point and force the kite further forward it will as a result
      fall back into the window powering even more then the whole thing starts
      again until you have a buster. I advise all beginners on a four line setup
      to use the main loop until they can force the kite to depower using their
      board. If you are feeling underpowered when you go out the main loop could
      help with keeping the kite powered. Try a different board perhaps. I think
      that everyone has this problem whether it be for 5 min or 5 months. Try the
      main loop and edge hard. Have fun.

      David Corrin
      http://www.kitepower.com.au
      mailto:sydney@...
      Open 7 days
      126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
      Phone +61293157894