4-line question/stupid idea

  • airdoodle
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 8, 2002
      Ok, what happens on a 4 line kite if you break, or release both
      front lines (center lines) when the kite is powered up? I was
      playing with my new handy dandy snap shackle, my bar and a
      beer or two in my backyard. It is trivial to hook a snapshackle up
      to the centerlines (with the Naish Aero) so that it is right infront of
      the sheeting in/out strap, and thus its release would let both
      front lines out. In THEORY this should lead to the kite flipping
      upside down and backwards, leading edge back and trailing
      edge forward, inverted. I would say it should flap around a lot but
      should not generate any lift and in fact aught to hit the water
      pretty quick after you pull the shackle. Anyone tried this? I have it
      hooked up and am waiting for a very light wind day to try this
      without hooking in (the first time...) while holding the bar.
      Anyhow, just for fun I am going to try this, I will post my results... I
      am aware that if you have a tangle or perhaps even a twist in the
      lines, they might get caught up on the rear lines and not fully
      invert the kite. But, if you think about it, you only need to release
      the front lines about 2x the spar length at the attachment point,
      so on most kites 8-10 ft of release should really be enough
      (again comments please). On the other hand, if they released
      only 1 or 2 feet, it might be worse than no release... again I will
      try to twist them up good, and pull it and see....
    • ian@gettingnervous.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 8, 2002
        I would imagine the kite will fly backwards towards the water, stay there
        and you'll have a hell of a time trying to retrieve your front lines????

        Interested to see what happens though!!!

        ian

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 8, 2002
          -
          > I would imagine the kite will fly backwards towards the water,
          stay there
          > and you'll have a hell of a time trying to retrieve your front
          lines????

          Yes, this is a non water relaunchable dump, but I am thinking of
          it as a last resort release in place of snapshackling into the loop
          (fixed or chicken)... Of course, the front lines will still be on the
          kite, just not on your bar anymore. My unfounded fear (Murphys
          law), that lead to this idea, is that if you use the shcakle as
          everyone suggests and does, that is to hook into the loop and if
          you need it and if the shackle fails your Scre#*@@!$wed. My
          idea is that if you really need to bail, and if your hooked into
          either the main or the chicken loop, pulling this shackle kills all
          possible power from the kite, of course you are still hooked (but
          not shackled) into the loop. If this release point fails, you are no
          worse than being in the chicken loop without any extra safety
          stuff.... bad under the right bad conditions, but hey... you cannot
          design away all possible negative consequences... Of course,
          as I said, bad to worse things can still happen if you are
          sufficiently tangled etc etc etc... I would use a knife as a last
          resort or you could chew your way out.

        • vasvari54
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 8, 2002
            Hi all,
            I am a beginner/intermediate, just learnt how to fly upwind. Recently
            I bought an ARX 9.5 with a 50cm RRD bar (instead of the 10cm longer
            standard Nash bar). Did I make a good choice? I am 67kg average
            built,if it matters.

            What's the significance of the bar length. Is there any guideline?

            Cheers
            Andrash
          • vasvari54

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 8, 2002
                  airdoodle <matthew.hockin@...> wrote:

                  > Ok, what happens on a 4 line kite if you break, or release both
                  > front lines (center lines) when the kite is powered up?

                  Depending on the exact kite model AND size, it can go to full power AND/OR
                  completely out of control.

                  Mel
                • airdoodle
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 8, 2002
                    Ok- I warned everyone in the title... stupid idea... but I had to do
                    something whilst I was waiting for the water to warm up so I
                    could actually use the kite, so naturally I started to add my new
                    toy (snap shackle) to any part of the kite that seemed receptive...
                    The dog escaped unharmed. I need to retract the "I am going to
                    try this and report back" statement. I hate to dissapoint all those
                    awaiting the kite wreck newscast. Darn.

                    Matt

                    > > Ok, what happens on a 4 line kite if you break, or release
                    both
                    > > front lines (center lines) when the kite is powered up?
                    >
                    > Depending on the exact kite model AND size, it can go to full
                    power AND/OR
                    > completely out of control.
                    >
                    > Mel
                  • Suntrax
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 9, 2002
                      Airdoodle wrote;.

                      >pulling this shackle kills all
                      possible power from the kite, of course you are still hooked (but
                      not shackled) into the loop. If this release point fails, you are no
                      worse than being in the chicken loop without any extra safety
                      stuff.... bad under the right bad conditions, but hey... you cannot
                      design away all possible negative consequences... Of course,
                      as I said, bad to worse things can still happen if you are
                      sufficiently tangled etc etc etc... I would use a knife as a last
                      resort or you could chew your way out.

                      Or you could, in addition to the QR shackle, the use the ProLimit quick
                      release spreader.

                      Brian Wilson
                      Suntrax
                      Tel/fax 027 21 5560044
                      cell; 0824656696
                      www.suntrax.co.za
                      suntrax@...
                    • Kitepower
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 9, 2002
                        Maybe it was the beer!! :-))
                        Please don't do it, I can tell you what will happen and none of it is fun or
                        good to watch.
                        The kite will not necessarily drop from the sky, but will be very hard to
                        control, and could be damaged (Rips the rear line attachments off the kite)
                        just from the release of the centre lines under load.
                        I have seen it happen to Naish users when the trim (chicken) loop rope
                        breaks. I saw one guy gingerly sail back from more than a klm out, but on
                        all other occasions the riders had to be rescued.
                        Kite leashes on all sleds (inflatables and arcs) work best when only one
                        line is leashed preferably a centre line.

                        http://www.kitepower.com.au
                        mailto:sydney@...
                        126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                        Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                        Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic