Re: [ksurfschool] Kiteboarding on soft sand

  • Pauric
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8 3:02 AM
      Although I have never seen anyone use the scrub axles with buggy wheels on an all terrain board, buggys find it hard going in soft sand.. the friction generated is quite high. Buggies also have the advantage of only 3 wheels. Bear in mind that larger wheels will raise the boards centre of gravity substantially causing all sorts of problems

      I would imagine that the combination of 4 buggy wheels (loads of friction) on a grasshopper (short-ish board) with wide axles and a really high centre will mean you will probably struggle to get up wind.

      It all really depends on how soft the sand is, if you're getting about 1-2 inch depression in to the sand whilst stood on your board then I reckon its worth the investment (again I've never run this setup but an educated guess says it will work) however if the sand it softer than that then you'll struggle. For example, here's the extremes buggys go to to run on soft sand

      http://www.geocities.com/grimble2_uk/gal/Borkum1999/DK11.jpg

      The front wheel is a 'normal' sized buggy wheel.

      Have you thought about using a wakeboard on sand?

      07 April 2002 18:19
      To: <ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com>
      cc:
      Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] Kiteboarding on soft sand

      I think they might actually work with other brands aswell because it is an
      entirely new truck rather than just new axles/whatever.

      ian

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8 6:16 PM
        Pauric wrote:
        > It all really depends on how soft the sand is, if you're getting about 1-2 inch depression in to the sand whilst stood on your board then I reckon its worth the investment (again I've never run this setup but an educated guess

        It's more like soft dirt so I think that bigger wheels may work.

        > Have you thought about using a wakeboard on sand?

        I tried and it only worked for downwind run.